Nesting Materials

Hmmmm - I figured if the hens want to throw out their nesting materials, it's up to them. Some of them just seem to prefer laying in the wooden box. A number of them prefer hay, and a couple like the shavings (my coop is bedded in shavings, but I have a bale of hay in the coop for them to play with.) Their favorite nest is the one they made themselves in the corner out of hay, and a similiar one they built in the hay barn. They'll lay in my nest boxes if they have no other choice, but when left to their own, they like the hay better.

Kate

46815_11.jpg

I have so much shredded paper--never thought to use it in my nests. I have always used hay but am going to try shredded paper. And I appreciate the idea of using rubber draw liners on the base. thanks!

Do you have a pic of your boxes? Mine would kick out the material if they could, but there is a ledge that prevents them from doing this. I used to use straw- but have since gone to pine shavings.. So far, I like them better. Good Luck!

You might try using grass clippings. Free, work wonderfully, and smell good too. Put heavy top layer on in Oct and will last all winter long until springtime without adding any. Has worked for 4 years for me, with from 24 to 12 chooks.

Gerry

Back
Top Bottom