Nesting ringnecks

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Blisschick, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I took a large oatmeal container and made my ringnecks a nesting box, then put some shavings in it for them. They've been doing the wing flicking thing and grooming each other, so I figured maybe they're wanting to make baby doves. [​IMG] Right now, they're checking it all out, and playing with the shavings. How soon can I expect that they'll get down to business?

2. sport14692

sport14692 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Carencro, La
    Put on some Marvin Gay Music today and it could happen tonight, lol

Good Luck

Sport14692

3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    LOL They're very partial to 70's music, so maybe that will happen! [​IMG]

Seriously, since I put the shavings in their nesting box yesterday, it's been all about that nest. Cuddling, cooing, grooming each other, checking out the nest repeatedly...

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Will both male and female sit in the nest? If not, I think I may have two females. [​IMG]

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yes, both will incubate and feed the babies [​IMG]

7. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I just managed to find some good info on mating behaviors, and so far, it looks like everything is going normal. I had been suspecting that my white one was a male, so I had gotten a female, but was beginning to wonder if I had been wrong, especially since the white one is the one sitting in the nest most of the time now. Now I know what he's up to. [​IMG]

8. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Just in case you have two females- they will incubate anyway. I've got two brooding on a pigeon egg now [​IMG] They have also hatched a chicken egg and a cockatiel egg. And, since they're both girls, I can control the population. You might want to watch out; once they bred you'll have a new pair every month....[​IMG]
    Here are mine (please disregard the coke can, they wanted it! [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    (please disregard the coke can, they wanted it! gig )

Haha! Mine demand a constant supply of millet spray. One of them has taken a couple of old stems and stuck it in the nest. [​IMG]

10. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Mine nest on the floor of their cage. I remove 2 eggs every third Saturday like clock work. It I didn't, I'd be over run with them. Don't have a place for anymore doves. Good Luck with yours. I think baby doves are a bit ugly---the beak is huge!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by