Nesting - Too much light?

Kluckners

Chirping
Apr 25, 2020
Seattle
The roof of our coop is a clear corrugated panel, so it lets light in. Do you think we need covered/dark nest boxes, or can they be open?

Pics please.

It helps us to see your set up completely.

Clear roofs can also create a greenhouse effect. My greenhouse gets to 80+ degrees Fahrenheit even when it is only 20° outside if the sun is shining.
On 70° days I have seen 130° on my thermometer in there.

It doesn't get direct sun overheard, it's on the north side of our yard. The trees also supply shade. The light you see in there in the pictures now is about the most light it gets in there during the day.

When it was nearly 100 degrees for a couple days this summer, it didn't seem to bother them. It generally cools down at night quite a bit in the northwest.

IMG_1438.jpeg
IMG_1443.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1443.jpeg
    IMG_1443.jpeg
    827.2 KB · Views: 1
The amount of light is probably fine.

Like several others, I would be worried about heat--especially after the leaves fall off the trees in the fall.

It'll be dark and gray all winter here in Seattle, so I'm not super concerned about that. I thought clear would be good because it can be so dark here already, and the corner of our yard there is already a bit dark as it is.

I want to get rid of that nesting box I have and attach two plywood ones to the inside of the door that you see there, so there's a bit more room in the coop.

But I'm wondering if I need plywood on top or if it can be open. Basically, should the nest boxes be plywood squares or a "U" shape, without a top.

That size coop with a clear roof will certainly be hot in summer and allow condensation in winter to drip on the birds.

It is likely to heat dramatically in winter too. Why is that an issue? Well because birds struggle more with drastic temp swings than we do. Hot in the coop compared to outside can lead to not feathering properly for winter then becoming very chilled when they do go out.

It is not a giant coop.....so changing the coop sections roof won't cost an arm and a leg. I would install plywood, tar paper and if you want to use the clear panels for waterproofing that will work still.

I also don't see any ventilation......

I want to get rid of that nesting box I have and attach two plywood ones to the inside of the door that you see there, so there's a bit more room in the coop.

But I'm wondering if I need plywood on top or if it can be open. Basically, should the nest boxes be plywood squares or a "U" shape, without a top.

Open top is probably fine. Or you could have a plywood cover for one of two nestboxes, and then see which the hens prefer.

Be aware, the chickens might try to roost on top of the nestboxes, or on the top edges of the nestbox sides if there is no top.

Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to put opaque or metal panel over the coop section in place of the clear one?

There's ventilation at either ends of the current clear panel, there are holes under each of the ridges, and also about 4-5 inches of open air on the side on the top walls of the coop.

Here are some pictures indicating the ventilation, indicated with black circles on a couple of them

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 11.20.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 11.19.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 11.18.33 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom