Netting for over a large run

Mr Pink: You poor poor thing. What a nightmare. My husband dug 2 holes this afternoon in northern missouri and it was tough just digging 36 inches but nothing like yours !

2 posts now in.

We need the cover across as our hens, guineas and muscovy ducks especially, love to fly.
Well thank you for your sympathy PureFreeRange .... My wife is kissing everything that hurts so it much better
hugs.gif
! We have a grape/blackberry patch right behind our main garden -trellised . I drilled those 18 holes with a 3 point auger ZERO problems , All the maple trees along the front of our property NO Problem but got my paybacks with where I placed the run . I should have known when my backhoe guy was digging the trench for water and electric ... I had to weld two teeth back on his bucket !

Anyway concrete poured this morning , may start erecting supports Saturday

Last edited:
We just put up netting over our turkey run. I asked around this website and decided on 3t netting. But here in StL, we can easily put 3' deep holes, my 13 year old dug them all in less than an hour. (Jealous?)

I'm so sorry about your ozark rock. I second the jack hammer recommendation. I remember in Kansas, they often used old dynamite to run utility lines. Not that I'm suggesting explosions or anything...

http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=53&idcategory=

We just put up netting over our turkey run. I asked around this website and decided on 3t netting. But here in StL, we can easily put 3' deep holes, my 13 year old dug them all in less than an hour. (Jealous?)

Heck ya I'm jealous .... My 14 year old doesn't know anything about what a shovel or posthole digger is for !

I looked at 3T netting and almost went that route

Last edited:

I'm so sorry about your ozark rock. I second the jack hammer recommendation. I remember in Kansas, they often used old dynamite to run utility lines. Not that I'm suggesting explosions or anything...

http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=53&idcategory=
Jealous? Yes, a little bit, haha!

Link didn't work....might be my computer tho, will try again later.

Got pics of your installation?

Last edited:
My turkeys new pen.

The pen is made of 5' tall kennel panels. That's 20'x10' and has their roost and feed/water. There are 2 adjoining 5'x5' brooder pens. Overtop is either the 3t heavy duty netting or shade tarps
The run is 20'x 30' and is perimeters by 40" garden/bunny fence. Above is the 3t netting. This is held up by three 10' (7' above ground) cedar posts with eye bolts and cabling.

I plan to divide this into 2 runs and rotate monthly for grazing. The turkey can go into the larger pasture, but only if Someone is back there. Can't wait to start putting seed down once I've determined a good fence option to divide the run

Closer look at the netting and posts. This is more to keep turkey IN but would work if you had a big hawk problem. We don't have a coon issue now that our great Pyrenee is on the job.

The netting is "sealed" via zip ties to the perimeter bunny fence, and I have enough drape for it to be gathered and secured at the end of the run. In the kennel end, its secured to the panels just like a tarp. For summer - a second shade tarp will probably go up--right overtop of the netting in the run.
Turkey don't care about rain/snow/sleet---with the exception to our mis-breed. She appears to be 1/2 broad breasted bronze and some heritage bronze. She made it thru winter storms in a large dog house. She's even too fat to roost and sleeps on a bale of straw. Whole forums could be written about her.

Last edited:

For your giggles,,, Smoresy, the misbreed turkey. We kept her thru the winter in hopes that she's breadable, since she isn't fully a Broad breasted. Depending on weather she sleeps in the dog house or a bale of straw. No netting needed for her--she's too fat to fly.

So 3t netting. Where did you get yours from? Looking around there is so much variation in price and hard to tell the difference from the photos on line.

I need to nail this down! All corner posts now in, just need to get the stakes and get the fence up and moved the chicken houses etc etc etc!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom