Netting to cover top of chicken run

lilhill

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 22, 2009
Alabama
We have a nice sized run for the chickens, but I want to put a netting of some type over the top to keep out overhead preditors. What is the best type to use and where do you get it? My chickens are coming this weekend and I'd like to be prepared.

We did the same as Chickenteacher--netting first then put up chickenwire. Yes, the chickenwire takes longer and costs more, but it's lots more durable especially if you have snowy winters. I guess in Alabama snow wouldn't be a big problem for you , but it definitely is for us in the frozen north.

Last edited:
I have the bird netting on my coops as well. I have had to zip-tie it back together a couple of time from falling branches from hurricanes and bad storms but it has lasted alot longer than i thought it would. I have never lost a bird to hawks, but my coops are in my fenced in back yard so our dogs keeps everything else out. Keep in mind that its not much protection against any other predator that wants to get your birds. I got mine at home depot in the outside garden section.

Our property is all fenced in except for the driveway entrance, so we don't have problems with dogs or coyotes or any "grounded" animals. The chicken pen is also next to our goat pasture and our GP, Daisy, protects that area. However, the big hawk that hangs around seemed to have a really big smile on it's face when we were building the coop.

Last edited:
I bought my netting off Ebay. From a wholesale supplier. It is individually knotted and strong enough to also be used on baseball fields for backstops...
Really nice heavy stuff. 113.00 including shipping for a 12 ft. x 150 ft. roll.
Perfect since I use the 10 ft. dog kennel panels on each side of the barn . the pens are 10 ft. by 20 ft. and I just unroll what I need.

It is much less than the prices of the Cutler and Randall Burkey ones.

My motto: Buy wholesale and cut out the middle man.

good luck

trust this and me . you cannot keep racoons out with that cheep vinal netting ... i f uou only let the birds out in the day and u lock them at night thats fine but watch out because coons come out daytime also . ive lost many friendly good chicken friends with that netting

Thanks, everyone, for your help. We'll probably bite the bullet and use chicken wire overhead to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom