Neurologic problem? Wryneck? Chicken very quickly getting worse...

Sc Owell Farm

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
Hello friends,

It's been a rough year on our flock. We successfully saved one of our dearest hens from sour crop thanks to the lovely help from this community! Now I'm back asking for further assistance.

20ish month old Australorp
No previous illness or injury
No signs of injury
No discharge
Comb slightly shrunken but good color
Checked crop and for egg bind- none
No symptoms in rest of flock
No toxic materials around that we're aware of
Currently no vitamins (they get that in winter)
Only new birds are two young turkeys that free range with them

Late last week we noticed she was keeping her left eye mostly shut. Since there was no sign of injury, we flushed with eye wash.
Over the weekend, she started to lose some balance, but her eye was still closed (mostly doing loose circles while walking.

Today she couldn't stand up straight and is coiling her neck under her in a painful seeming way. She fights hard when we try to pick her up, but can no longer sit up on her own.

About to give her vitamin E and B complex with forced water as she is not eating or drinking today. Not sure when she last laid an eye, but exam didn't show any hints of egg bind and belly is not taut. She is separated from the flock and indoors.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what more we can do or what this might be??

Thank you your wonderful advice and guidance!

Attachments

• 20230705_185026.jpg
    20230705_185026.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 318
  • 20230705_175811.jpg
    20230705_175811.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 8
I saw suggestions for 400 iu vitamin e and a third tablet of b complex, so started with that with just a hint of electrolyte mix in her water.

We had to tube the water to her, but a few minutes after she stood in her own for a bit, then curled her neck in under her body again. But she's alert... Intermittently.

Quick update: no improvements yet but continuing with forced vitamin water, 1/3 tablet b complex, 400 iu vitamin e full pill.

Confirmed she is vaccinated for Marek's.

I've read it can take weeks for improvement if we're successful, so not giving up!

Thank you again to this lovely community!

Late last week we noticed she was keeping her left eye mostly shut. Since there was no sign of injury, we flushed with eye wash.
Over the weekend, she started to lose some balance, but her eye was still closed (mostly doing loose circles while walking.
I would continue with the vitamin therapy and see if it helps. Tube or syringe fluids into her.
Neurological symptoms can take time to treat if at all.

Marek's disease comes to mind. The vaccine can help inhibit or slow tumors but does not prevent infection from the virus.
If you happen to lose her, having a necropsy will give you the most information. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I agree with Wyorp Rock, that Mareks could be a concern. Usually they will show symptoms at an earlier age, though. Have you added any new chickens to your flock this year? I would try the vitamins for at least a couple of weeks. Make sure that she can reach food and water. If she cannot stand, I would consider using a chicken sling chair, which are simple to make. Here is a good thread for examples of slings, esp. posts 5,11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

That looks a lot like wry neck but I'm not super sure. Is she having any trembling or seizure like episodes?
No she doesn't seem to tremble out seize. Her neck and legs are flexible and she still has a lot of strength and fights when we pick her up but tires very quickly. Not eating or drinking on her own yet. Tried oatmeal and yogurt mixed with scrambled egg but no luck. Having to force feed.

Last night after feeding she started making noise, which she hasn't done for a few days.

I would continue with the vitamin therapy and see if it helps. Tube or syringe fluids into her.
Neurological symptoms can take time to treat if at all.

Marek's disease comes to mind. The vaccine can help inhibit or slow tumors but does not prevent infection from the virus.
If you happen to lose her, having a necropsy will give you the most information. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thank you so much. I didn't know about Marek's until all this happened. Once I found out she was vaccinated I thought it was ruled out. Thank you for sharing that so we can continue to monitor for that.

Rest of the girls she was with before separation are still healthy.

If she passes, we will certainly do a necropsy. But we're not giving up on her!

After feedings I hold her in a rocking chair until she falls asleep. She's just the sweetest thing.

Thank you so much for all of the help!!

Back
Top Bottom