Neurological disorder?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheOLDNewChick, May 21, 2008.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Okay. I think I may have my first neurological disorder case. It's one of the ones that I've had a problem with in this hatchery shipment. Anyway. The thing starts scratching itself like crazy, then falls over onto it's back and starts kicking and chirping really loud, then lays REALLY still for a few minutes, then hops back up, is fine, then repeats the process. What the heck? It's almost like a seizure of some sort. And I don't want to cull if there's some way she might make it...any ideas / suggestions? When she's up and about she's perfectly fine. Then she starts scratching and kicking and what all...

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    How old is the chick???? If it's a new one, have you tried that baby stuff, polyvisil or whatever it's called???

3. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Like, two or three days old... no I haven't. I don't have any of it on hand. Is it OTC? Cause I can pick it up tomorrow...

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yep...it is a baby vitamin and OTC.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    It is imperative that shipped chicks receive electrolytes/vitamins when they arrive (the feed stores usually have the brand DURVET if you did not choose to order the GROGEL with your hatchery shipment).
    If there is any possibility that they have gotten or become chilled along the way you must first ensure that you warm them up first before giving anything.
    Polyvisol Enfamil (unflavored) can be given three drops in beak once a day for a week.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  6. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Thanks, everyone. She seems to be doing fine, no more fits since last night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by