Neurological issue in chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kimquat, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Kimquat

Kimquat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    I have a five week old light sussex chick that I have been treating for what I believed was wry neck. She began with the twisted neck, leaning to the right, keeping low to the ground and occasionally flipping out and flopping all over the place. Yesterday we put the birds outside in their new, larger coop as they'd outgrown the brooder. They seemed to love it and all appeared much happier, even the chick with wry neck whose neck was no longer twisted and was acting much better. She is, however, continuing to have these fits where she just loses all control and goes flopping and flapping crazily all over the coop. This morning, when I went out to check on them, she was having one of these fits and had hurt herself, somehow. She has a little blood on her comb and just seems very stressed. I have her wrapped in a towel and am attempting to calm her, but she is just sitting here biting and pecking at nothing. It's as though she's seeing things. Can anyone help me? I don't want to have to put her down if I can do anything to help her. :(

2. Kimquat

Kimquat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    Forgot to mention that I've been treating her with vitamins and nutri-drench for a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by