Neurological problem??? My Polish Cockrel May Have,

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CyndiD, Aug 9, 2016.

1. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    Hi, my polish cockrel has been acting funny the last 3-4 days. in the past 2 days he has been reduced to sitting and not moving much. it started w/him wobbly on his legs then the next day he kept falling back on his haunches, and then today he is sitting/laying in the corner and cant move w/out falling over or back on his butt. He is sleeping on the floor of the coop, since he can not climb/hop or fly up on the roosting bars. I think it is a neurological problem of some sort. i am wondering if i should just put him down. I have not seperated him, maybe i should. i just pray it is not contageous? he is only 4-5 months old. i really like this bird. i pray he makes it and gets better. i dont know what to do for him?
    any suggestions as to what to do for him?

ETA: I did dust him w/pet poultry mite dusing powder 2 x's in the past month. I am praying this powder did not poision him? any ideas are appreciated.
    thank you

@casportpony @Sally Sunshine

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. ellenscoop

ellenscoop Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2015
    Indiana
  3. CyndiD

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    very cool site. thank you very much. i still do not know what my polish is suffering from, but if it is the encephalomyelitis, i need to watch the other chickens i have in the coop w/my polish.
    http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/avian-encephalomyelitis

thank you so much for sharing this site, this is wonderful.

4. CyndiD

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    i cked out this site and think it may be AEV.. but the site only said "Supportive Care" for the TX... what does this mean? meds, etc????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by