Neurological symptoms of chckens

bpmcwill

Chirping
Jun 4, 2015
Sophia, NC
I lost two hens this week. Second one today. She lost the use of her legs and when I picked her up she couldn't hold her head up and died that quick. She was eating and drinking although she seemed off a bit.Her comb was a little pale, i believe the first hen died the same way. They were 4 years old, had them in the same area since they were chicks. Same food, nothing new. No pesticides in the garden, no food they can't have.

The neurological issues came on fast. Probably about 30 mins and she was dead.

When you hear about neurological issues, lameness, and not being able to hold up the head, many will at first think of Mareks disease or botulism, or a poisoning. Check your food or scratch for mold or an odd color or odor. Look for any plants they are eating which could be poisonous.

But I have seen hens suddenly become ill, and during the throes of death, may exhibit those kinds of neurological symptoms. I recently lost a 4-5 year old hen who was always the lowest in the pecking order. She stayed on the roost most of the day, and when I brought her outside into the yard, she started flailing and kicking with her legs, using her wings to try and move, and was dead within a minute or two.

So I am just saying it would be hard to know for sure without a necropsy, done by your state poultry vet or lab. If you have added a new bird to your flock in recent weeks or months, then Mareks could be possible. So if you lose another, get a necropsy, but refrigerate the body first. At 4 years old, it could have been one of many problems. Usually they have symptoms that they may hide unless we suspect something is wrong. Sorry for your loss. Here is a good link for state poultry vets to contact yours:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom