Neutering Roosters

Pics
That's our thinking on the matter also.....do not want to consume any potential baby chicks! We do not have any vets in my area that will neuter roosters.....so we are looking for a new home for the two we have. We purchased all pullets....but there was a little boy in each batch. The oldest who is now crowing is a Bard Rock and the younger...not crowing yet...is a Jersey Giant. We would gladly give them to a NO KILL home. This is a must. They are very healthy and have been raised on antibiotic and hormone FREE feeds. We live in Southern Illinois....(close to Carbondale, home of the Southern Illinois University) if anyone is interested and close enough to come and pick them up. Please have references that you are from the BackYard Chickens....and that you are a no kill home.
smile.png

Some times you guys crack me up, what planet do you live on? If you knew how all that meat you consume was
eviscerated while the poor creature may or may not be alive.....................When we the old schooled do these
things PROPERLY the chicken ,steer , goat ,so on has little if any reaction if any! In fact pigs and chickens con
sume their own jewels as they hit the ground!! But I'll bet you'd see me incarcerated if I treated animals like the
big commercial guys do, wouldn't you. RR​

Oh I am well aware of the cruelty doled out to helpless animals at the slaughter houses and in the factory farming business. It's all about greed....no thought to humane measures toward the animals.....and this is something that I detest. I am not against some one else humanely slaughtering for meat.....it's just that I "personally" will not do it. And I will not buy meat that I know comes from those factory farmers. I am made aware of who they are by animal welfare agencies....such as PETA, The Humane Farming Assoc., etc., to whom we also make financial contributions. I know that we are permitted by God to use animals for food.....but we also will answer to Him for the way we do it. From what you said.....you are acting in the right way toward your animals. :eek:)

Phantom Bantam, thank you for your kind words, I was beginning to
wonder if all these posters had ever actually been to a (I love this !!)
factory farm. The reason no vets in your area castrate roosters is
1 most don't even know where they are!
2 there is no real call for this practice as modern processes don't
require it, as artificial incubation is common place.
For what it's worth as a boy we did this as a way to free up hens to
go get bred. The process is pretty quick for all domestic species in
most cases it takes about 60 seconds and the animals are far more
stressed from being subdued than the actual act. Kind of like human
circumcision I happen to know that I was not ,nor was my dad given
anything(ask a Rabbi) I honestly don't recall about my son.Christians.
Personally I would find a true farmer and you can knock your bird out
cold by filling a 1 gallon freezer bag with unshaken whipped cream
if you go that route make sure the bag is 50% Nitrous Oxide 50% O2.
In fact I'd bet your dentist would provide it as well, he may giggle.
The propellant in whipped cream is No2 and as I'M NOT A VET, this
is simply how given the circumstances I'd do it. RR

Did you ever get your rooster neutered? I am interested to hear the results. I completely understand why you would try it.

Back
Top Bottom