Neutering Roosters

We have 4 Arucanas - one is a "defective hen" as it is beginning to crow and mount the others....

We are attached to "her" (the name is Granny - we are thinking of changing the name to Roaster or Stu....) but hate to see the natural "overly-manly" behavior to the hens and (s)he is stalking our baby mallards and pekings. If you get my drift... the 3 hens are very unhappy. Granny/Roaster/Stu is only 4 months old.

We live near Cornell University - the only place around that can neuter roosters... $150.00.

I just called today - and will ask the questions regarding procedure and how Granny/Roaster/Stu will likely behave afterwards.

I will post a few weeks from now to let those who are interested know how things may have changed.... just praying the coyotes do not get Granny/Roaster/Stu beforehand:) Just kidding - they are free-ranged during the day but have a safe home at night. The name is Big Red... which is ironic as that was the name we gave to him as a 1 day old (even thinking it was a hen).... after Cornell Hockey!

For those that are interested, here is what the Vet from the Cornell Exotic Animal Hospital had to say.

Cost - $400 to $500

Surgery is very difficult and painful even for very young birds (less than 1 mo old)... now that he has reached sexual maturity (he is 4 mos) his testicles are large and difficult to remove though it can be done. There are no guarantees that he will return to his gentle ways since he has already learned how to be a rooster.

And, we would need to wait until the breeding season is over because his testicles are very large during this time... which just means he will have more time to learn the rooster way.

We are not doing it.... we will find him a happy home where he can have his way with lots of girls. Hate to see him go - but what else can you do other than eat him:-(

Sometimes an animals (not just chickens) needs to be 'fixed', sometimes surgically- sometimes permanently- everyone has to make their own call on this.

A child or the health of a human is not worth the temporary pain of the animal, sorry.

I paid 150 to castrate a male rat that was not behaving, a rat who entire lifespan was going to be four years.

We do what we must.

Good for you - I also don't believe in killing anything - just for convenience. I have two beautiful, friendly Dominique roosters I would hate to part with, so I am looking into neutering. Under proper anesthesia, I don't believe it would be cruel. The problem is that they are very hard on my 8 year old hens. And I don't consider 30 or 40 bucks too much to spend on a pet to insure that he will have a good life!

Did you ever do this and did it work, My hen turned out to be a rooster and I am devistated and searching for a new home. My city doesn't permit roosters and I'm not having luck finding a home.

Did you ever, in fact, neuter your roos? I am in a situation now where a couple of my "hens" have matured into roos :0( One of them I don't mind giving back to the breeder but my silkie I LOVE! I don't want fertilized eggs though.
Very curious to hear the outcome of this. I realize it's a very old thread but I'm hoping "Miss Chicken" is still a part of this forum
fl.gif

Cheers!
Ann

ep.gif
I in fact had a rooster "caponized". I had it done to limit crowing. Vet told me it would not help. And it didn't! However it was not a very expensive thing-like $30-I think they just liked the novelty of it. In Agricultural college we learned to caponize roosters. It is not a big deal but prefer, for thirty bucks, to pay for it.

and just curious, why dont you want fertilized eggs? Unless the hens set on them, and you gather every day, you would never know the differance? Or do you have more than one rooster and only want to hatch from the other?

Thanks for the info Pink Glory! I'm surprised at the cost though, there was another person to replied with a $400-$500 estimate from their vet! Where are you located? I'm in Los Angeles and would like to find a vet here that would do it for a reasonable sum..
The Silkie hasn't started crowing yet, I wonder if doing this procedure would preempt that behavior?

I don't want to consume any potential babies, that's why no fertilized eggs
jumpy.gif

Cheers!
Ann

Back
Top Bottom