Nevadans?

We bought a pellet gun not too long ago. After telling my son "Get the gun!" and having Russ try for 5 minutes to load it without his glasses, it now sits loaded in my secret place where I can grab it next time we have a problem. And if the kids find it... it's the damage of a pellet. I'd be upset, but nobody would be badly hurt.

Plus, if someone breaks into the house and I run out with the pellet gun... in the dark, it will probably look close enough to a real rifle to make someone hesitate. I only have one shot, but a single shot can go a long way for intimidation.

Elizabeth, where do you get your ceramic eggs? My mom would blow an egg out, then fill it with plaster of Paris.
I just pictured you as tomb raider slinking around your house- LOL!

I don't have any Marans so sorry I don't know about how the color works. I do know that they are project birds and might not get gold. Gregory looks like a Gretchen to me
lol.png
Sure looks like a pullet comb on that bird, plus no pointed hackle feathers! I will send along that picture to Kirstie and see what she thinks.

Hey Candy, do you know when Gregory Peck's gold will start coming through?

Will do that before I crash tonight. :)
Wow what is it with egg eaters lately? Now if the eggs are accidently breaking and the girls are then eating them that is not the same thing. However if they are purposefully breaking them to eat them then you have a problem. Anyone know where I can buy a coop cam cheap?

I know the Spy Shop sells something like that. And there is always good old Amazon.

I read an article on egg-eating, and they say the best way to avoid that is to regularly get your eggs. Meaning... the time I went over to garden for an hour wasn't regular enough.
idunno.gif

I don't have any Marans so sorry I don't know about how the color works. I do know that they are project birds and might not get gold. Gregory looks like a Gretchen to me :lol:   Sure looks like a pullet comb on that bird, plus no pointed hackle feathers!  I will send along that picture to Kirstie and see what she thinks. 

Lol it's definitely a Gregory. He's only a couple of months so that's definitely a rooster comb. It's already bigger than my girls who are four months older than him. Plus they're rooster colors. I'll post a pic of his saddle feathers, they're turning gold and are beautiful! Omg im sorry though I didn't know you weren't the breeder! I am soooo unattentive!

I would love to share an order with Tomato Growers. They seem to have the largest variety. And if you need to find homes for any plants that Elizabeth doesn't want, I can probably plug 2 more into soil spots here. I'd hate any of them to go to waste!

This year is Chicken Raising 101 for us. Now we have an egg eater. I've suspected it for a few weeks now, after finding too many eggs with cracks in them, or whole eggs with yolk on the outside. And honestly I thought it might be Shawarma. So I'd been watching her because she always seemed to be hanging out around the nesting boxes. Now I know it wasn't her, and what she really was doing.
sad.png
Anyway, now I think it's Cacciatore the welsummer. I've only gotten one welsummer egg in a month, and it had a suspicious beak-sized indent in it. Like someone tried to eat it but got interrupted. And today, while walking back to the house, I heard a banging in the coop. After the raccoon incident, I ran right back. I saw Cacciatore fluffed up in a nest and looking defensive... I immediately thought, "Great, another egg-bound chicken." I plucked her off the nest to examine her, and saw a yolk underneath her, in a spot that I KNOW I saw Barbeque squatting earlier that morning. Barbeque or Gourmet (I don't remember which, since I was still focused on a chicken butt) jumped in and ate the rest of the yolk. And Cacciatore had no problems with her egg maker. So now I'm thinking it's her, that maybe she didn't stop laying at all, but was just eating her own eggs. I've found cracks on other eggs, so whoever it is has moved on to everyone else's eggs. But I'm not completely sure, so I don't want to kill her off without more evidence. But once I'm sure... she's gone. That's just rude!
Do you give them an oyster shell supplement? She may be eating the eggs for the calcium. Oyster shell is really cheap. I keep a bowl filled with it all the time so they can dip in whenever they feel the need.

got some recent pics today...voila.

Here are my showgirls. I think the one in the back is a roo too though, which would make 3 of 4 roosters. yeesh. I named it "Pat" after that skit on SNL. Mark named the other Sylvia and she is absolutely perfect. Flawless. I wish showgirls were acceptable in show because she would be a winner. Also she is the teensyest little bird, my goodness. I love her! just wanna shmoosh her with hugs. Ack!

Heres Gregory Peck. (he thinks he is a showgirl). Im hoping with all of hope that he gets some gold in soon. I see little flakes but nothing like I was hoping for. Maybe it will come after his first moult? what do you guys think? when i look on google i see all these pics of these amazing colorful GCM roosters...
fl.gif

Birthday Present and Cupcake

Heres Mr. Pants. Isnt he growing into a handsome fella??? He is becoming very sweet too. I get to hear him call the girls when i give them treats. He has also gotten less rapey, although still rapey none-the-less. In the evening once he has perched (always the spot in front of the window) he will let me stroke his gorgeous hackle feathers. I am really loving this guy. His crow is pleasant and he is terribly comical. Im sure the neighbors hate him though, haha. psh.

here are some butts.
lau.gif
LOL!!! BTW great pics!

got some recent pics today...voila.

Here are my showgirls. I think the one in the back is a roo too though, which would make 3 of 4 roosters. yeesh. I named it "Pat" after that skit on SNL. Mark named the other Sylvia and she is absolutely perfect. Flawless. I wish showgirls were acceptable in show because she would be a winner. Also she is the teensyest little bird, my goodness. I love her! just wanna shmoosh her with hugs. Ack!

Heres Gregory Peck. (he thinks he is a showgirl). Im hoping with all of hope that he gets some gold in soon. I see little flakes but nothing like I was hoping for. Maybe it will come after his first moult? what do you guys think? when i look on google i see all these pics of these amazing colorful GCM roosters...
fl.gif

Birthday Present and Cupcake

Heres Mr. Pants. Isnt he growing into a handsome fella??? He is becoming very sweet too. I get to hear him call the girls when i give them treats. He has also gotten less rapey, although still rapey none-the-less. In the evening once he has perched (always the spot in front of the window) he will let me stroke his gorgeous hackle feathers. I am really loving this guy. His crow is pleasant and he is terribly comical. Im sure the neighbors hate him though, haha. psh.

here are some butts.
great photos! love those showgirls. hopefully gregory peck will get in some more color. It's hard to know. I've never grown out a rooster so I'm not sure. My GCM pullet has gold on her neck.

We bought a pellet gun not too long ago. After telling my son "Get the gun!" and having Russ try for 5 minutes to load it without his glasses, it now sits loaded in my secret place where I can grab it next time we have a problem. And if the kids find it... it's the damage of a pellet. I'd be upset, but nobody would be badly hurt.

Plus, if someone breaks into the house and I run out with the pellet gun... in the dark, it will probably look close enough to a real rifle to make someone hesitate. I only have one shot, but a single shot can go a long way for intimidation.

Elizabeth, where do you get your ceramic eggs? My mom would blow an egg out, then fill it with plaster of Paris.
My ceramic eggs are probably really made out of blown glass, I think. They are antiques from my family. My mom got them from my great aunts from when they grew up on a farm. they are very light weight but sturdy. I have seen wooden eggs at greens that you can buy to put in the nest box. it might help as a deterrent or even golf balls. As for the frequent collecting, you probably collect more frequently than anyone. My at home crew is sometimes more on top of it than other times.

Will do that before I crash tonight. :)
Wow what is it with egg eaters lately? Now if the eggs are accidently breaking and the girls are then eating them that is not the same thing. However if they are purposefully breaking them to eat them then you have a problem. Anyone know where I can buy a coop cam cheap?
celebrate.gif
Woo hoo!!! That's great!!!

No problem, I'll bring some with me when I come into town then. Meeting you or dropping them at the house is fine. Just let me know what works best for you! Aubrey and I are walking/kite flying at Rancho San Rafael that day.
If it's not inconvenient to drop them by the house, that would probably be the best for the plants. If no one's home the front porch is shaded so they would be fine. I do work over at UNR and could pop over to rancho san rafael if needed.
Do you give them an oyster shell supplement? She may be eating the eggs for the calcium. Oyster shell is really cheap. I keep a bowl filled with it all the time so they can dip in whenever they feel the need.
My egg eating started after I had been feeding back crushed egg shells for a few days instead of oyster shell. I think maybe they weren't getting enough. So I got more oyster shell and hopefully that will help.

Hmmmm maybe not enough. I feed them laying mash instead of Flock Raiser, but I'll put out a mega-bowl of oyster shell and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom