Nevadans?

Hmmmm maybe not enough. I feed them laying mash instead of Flock Raiser, but I'll put out a mega-bowl of oyster shell and see what happens.
Hopefully that will help the situation. BTW 1 Stop Ranch and Feed has really cheap oyster shell they bag up themselves. it's a big bag for just $1. Cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. I need to get back over there and stock up.
I haven't seen any evidence of egg eating since I put out oyster shell and the ceramic eggs so I'm hoping we don't have a real evil egg eater in our midst.

Hmmmm maybe not enough. I feed them laying mash instead of Flock Raiser, but I'll put out a mega-bowl of oyster shell and see what happens.
I feed the layer pellets but I always have a bowl of oyster shell free choice and they eat it so I figure they must need it.

Hopefully that will help the situation. BTW 1 Stop Ranch and Feed has really cheap oyster shell they bag up themselves. it's a big bag for just $1. Cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. I need to get back over there and stock up.
I haven't seen any evidence of egg eating since I put out oyster shell and the ceramic eggs so I'm hoping we don't have a real evil egg eater in our midst.
I pay $7 for a 50 lb. bag at S&W in Carson City.
fl.gif
this works for both of you!

Maybe it is a calcium issue. Today I got 6 eggs, but one (where the welsummer was squatting 1.5 hours ago) had almost no shell. It was almost transparent, and I could see the yolk. It amazingly held together. She must have laid it, then got right off the nest. This makes sense if she did get infectious bronchitis, since that's said in all the descriptions of the disease... when they get back to laying, the eggs may not be in the quantity or quality they were before... they may be misshapen or have shell problems.

Maybe yesterday, the welsummer was defensive because she was currently laying, and when I picked her up... that's what was left after she stepped on a shell-less egg. Just a mess of yolk.

I'll be very happy if we just have a calcium or shell formation problem, not an egg-eating problem.

I'm watching my flock closely right now. Something is going on. Last year Sundae laid perfect eggs for a few weeks and then her eggs were always broken. I was using the layer's feed then. I changed up to the flock raiser and Sundae molted and took the winter off. When she started again she was laying perfect eggs for just a short time and then super thin egg shells and broken eggs. Of course the chickens would eat the broken ones. Just a couple of weeks ago Bella stopped laying eggs. All of a sudden we were noticing Bella laying eggs outside in the yard without shells and everyone was enjoying the feast everyday she was doing this. I always have oyster shell and I use the egg shells as well. Last week I switched back to layer's feed because as I researching all these issues, I read layer's must have laying feed with oyster shell on the side because they cannot get enough calcium in them if you use a flock raiser and oyster shell on the side and the chickens will lay soft shell eggs to no shell eggs. Bella stands and watches the chickens lay their eggs as if she going to eat them. So far so good. What I have noticed broken duck eggs in the coop and all content is eaten every time. The ducks eggs were fine. They were not soft shelled. Bella is spending a lot of time in the coop now when every one is laying their eggs. This is not normal of her. My egg count has decreased from 6 per day to 4 per day now.

I save egg shells, dry them out and crush them up and feed them back to the birds. I do add oyster shell too, but most times it's their shells.

Quote: No problem Elizabeth. I'll be dropping them by in the morning. I'll just leave them on the porch if no one's home. I'll bring a couple of the big ones which you will need to trim the bottom leaves off of and plant them much deeper to try and save them and I'll bring a few of the 3" high ones as well. I hope they aren't past hope!

That is a good point about the oyster shell! I hadn't thought of that being the reason even though I knew I was not giving them enough. The marans eggs are so hard to hatch normally cause the egg shells are so hard that I had quit giving them oyster shell for a few weeks so the eggs would be easier to hatch. Sounds like I created this problem myself!
he.gif
OK they are getting oyster shell as we speak.

Sheryl IDK where you read that but it sounds like the kind of info that comes from the feed manufacturers. Layer was originally created for the large chicken farms to make feeding easier but a chicken that gets a variety of grains, greens, bugs, grit and oyster shell (or some other source of calcium) does not need layer feed and there are a bunch of studies that show the ill effects of too much calcium for non-layers (especially young birds). There are a lot of threads that cover this topic here on BYC and tempers have often gotten out of hand on these threads so I won't belabor the point further but you can do a search if you like to get both sides of the story. For the sake of peace I will leave it to these other folks to argue each side of this controversial subject and leave it off of this thread for now.

soooo...sleeeeepy.....last ten hour shift of the week! Hoorayyyy!!! tomorrow I leave for LA to celebrate me and Markie's five year "anniversary". Plus I get to check up on my mom after the surgery. I am so beyond excited. Supposed to be in the low 70s all weekend. Hecka lucky.

soooo...sleeeeepy.....last ten hour shift of the week! Hoorayyyy!!! tomorrow I leave for LA to celebrate me and Markie's five year "anniversary". Plus I get to check up on my mom after the surgery. I am so beyond excited. Supposed to be in the low 70s all weekend. Hecka lucky.
ya.gif
So great that you get to see your Mom!!! I know you are worried about her! Happy anniversary!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom