Nevadans?

Looks like I have a taker on the silkie! Hopefully I can post tonight that he is gone.
I am actually ordering them from Meyer. You can definitely join in, the more the merrier!
oh, you're the friend
lol.png
Cool!
Looks like Soup the BLRW is going to lay her first egg today. In here.

lau.gif
crazy chicken! I guess it's nice and cozy.

Looks like I have a taker on the silkie! Hopefully I can post tonight that he is gone.
oh, you're the friend
lol.png
Cool!
lau.gif
crazy chicken! I guess it's nice and cozy.

Actually, it's probably the coolest place in the yard. A cold stone bbq pit, on a patio, under a tree. She ended up laying right under the tree, but Noodle layed in the pit. And the egg cracked. It was very inconvenient to retrieve.

Woohoooo on finding a home for the silkie!!!
And just a reminder to anyone looking to rehome roosters that can be eaten: The lady who gave me Pot and Pie will willingly take anything that she can butcher up and put in the freezer. I kept her email and phone number handy for future use.

Off topic...
Does anyone know where I can purchase heirloom seeds locally? Looking for fall, spinach, cabbage, peas radish seeds, anything else good to plant in Reno at this time?

Jann

Off topic...
Does anyone know where I can purchase heirloom seeds locally? Looking for fall, spinach, cabbage, peas radish seeds, anything else good to plant in Reno at this time?

Jann

The nurseries would probably be your safest bet. But even that is a little doubtful, considering it's so late. You could also try Walmart, the food co-op, maybe Whole Foods. Ordering online might be worth the amount you'd save in gas, just looking. I know Territorial charges a flat $7.50 shipping, or 2 gallons of gas, and they have a ton of heirlooms.

Oh, and add lettuce to the list, maybe even chard. Swiss chard loves the heat, but can also weather right through a hard frost.

Last edited:
The nurseries would probably be your safest bet. But even that is a little doubtful, considering it's so late. You could also try Walmart, the food co-op, maybe Whole Foods. Ordering online might be worth the amount you'd save in gas, just looking. I know Territorial charges a flat $7.50 shipping, or 2 gallons of gas, and they have a ton of heirlooms.

Oh, and add lettuce to the list, maybe even chard. Swiss chard loves the heat, but can also weather right through a hard frost.

I know I am considering this late.... :( I have ordered from Heirloom in the past but they can't promise delivery due to a family emergency. I will try territorial. I love swiss chard! Awesome I will do that one also.

I know I am considering this late.... :( I have ordered from Heirloom in the past but they can't promise delivery due to a family emergency. I will try territorial. I love swiss chard! Awesome I will do that one also.

Thanks for the reminder! In about 2 weeks, I'm going to clear out a few beds for fall planting. I'm mostly waiting for the heat to go down a bit, so there's a chance the soil can stay moist enough for seed to germinate! Oh, and an AWESOME mix to try if you go through Territorial: try the wild lettuce blend. It grows so well, is sweet and tender, and beautiful to look at with all its color. I bought a packet of seed for $5, shared it 3 ways with 2 other friends, and grew $160 of lettuce with my portion. That's compared to the "mixed baby greens" price at Savemart.

Tolipgirl, I know they're super pretty! I've admired the colors for awhile now, but haven't gotten one because I wanted to concentrate on egg-laying large fowl.

Back
Top Bottom