Nevadans?

Hey Ron, We got many of our hives by capturing swarms. We have even done a couple of cut outs. So we have been working hard to get them.
We have gotten nearly 100 lbs of honey so far and looking at getting maybe 240 more or so. The of our hives are booming. two more are doing very well and the rest are just young swarms struggling to get ready for winter.

Good news for you on the mite situation. Just remember you don't see the mites you see the symptoms that they have them. As for treatment. Sugar sudting seems to be one of the beter ones if you do not want to treat. I myself use treatments and have had to knock back mites at least once. One of the best treatments I have found is Oxalic Acid. My number one way to keep them disease free is to focus on keeping them very healthy. that sounds obvious but is not nearly as much so as it woudl seem. I simply find strong well populated colonies have fewer health issues.

It is way to long between visits for me. Sorry to hear that Sunny is limited in access. My seasonal stuff should slow down soon and I hopefully will have more time to just visit on the net instead of work.
boy I need some bed. is 2 acres enough?
I am planning on putting up 1/3 acre of blue berries and many fruit trees

Anyone know where I can get some call ducklings in NV? My mom wanted some for her birthday, so I ordered some eggs and tried to hatch them, but only 2 out of 24 developed... Ill be lucky if those make it to hatch.

Anyone know where I can get some call ducklings in NV? My mom wanted some for her birthday, so I ordered some eggs and tried to hatch them, but only 2 out of 24 developed... Ill be lucky if those make it to hatch.

Hey there, Do you ever go over into California? I know a woman who lives in the Angels Camp area who raises Call Ducks and you might be able to get some from her.

Hey Ron, We got many of our hives by capturing swarms. We have even done a couple of cut outs. So we have been working hard to get them.
We have gotten nearly 100 lbs of honey so far and looking at getting maybe 240 more or so. The of our hives are booming. two more are doing very well and the rest are just young swarms struggling to get ready for winter.

Good news for you on the mite situation. Just remember you don't see the mites you see the symptoms that they have them. As for treatment. Sugar sudting seems to be one of the beter ones if you do not want to treat. I myself use treatments and have had to knock back mites at least once. One of the best treatments I have found is Oxalic Acid. My number one way to keep them disease free is to focus on keeping them very healthy. that sounds obvious but is not nearly as much so as it woudl seem. I simply find strong well populated colonies have fewer health issues.

It is way to long between visits for me. Sorry to hear that Sunny is limited in access. My seasonal stuff should slow down soon and I hopefully will have more time to just visit on the net instead of work.
I hear you on the keeping them strong and healthy! That's always the best method.

boy I need some bed. is 2 acres enough?
I am planning on putting up 1/3 acre of blue berries and many fruit trees
2 acres is way more than enough for bees. They will love the berry and fruit trees! And you'll get a lot more fruit, too. Go for it!

Someone on this thread sells them. Missy would know!

Okay, so Gretel (EE) has been hiding in this bush and not coming out for about a week. Yesterday Dad pruned the bush she was in so we'd be able to access her when she went in. Mom said that she'd looked and there weren't any eggs but I decided to see for myself today since the only reason I could think of was laying. So I climbed into the bush and looked where she'd been hiding and there were five light blue eggs staring me in the face.
ep.gif
I'm so excited! Dad said that I couldn't reach in and get them cuz he's going to prune some more to discourage nesting in the bush rather than the nesting boxes. Any other ideas for putting the eggs in the box and not the bush? I have put plastic Easter Eggs in the boxes and they have fairly fresh straw. Anyway, thought I'd share the news with you guys. So excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

With these temperatures in North NV do you think the eggs are still good to eat? I have them refrigerated right now.

Okay, so Gretel (EE) has been hiding in this bush and not coming out for about a week. Yesterday Dad pruned the bush she was in so we'd be able to access her when she went in. Mom said that she'd looked and there weren't any eggs but I decided to see for myself today since the only reason I could think of was laying. So I climbed into the bush and looked where she'd been hiding and there were five light blue eggs staring me in the face.
ep.gif
I'm so excited! Dad said that I couldn't reach in and get them cuz he's going to prune some more to discourage nesting in the bush rather than the nesting boxes. Any other ideas for putting the eggs in the box and not the bush? I have put plastic Easter Eggs in the boxes and they have fairly fresh straw. Anyway, thought I'd share the news with you guys. So excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

Sounds like maybe she's broody, if she's not coming out much? If so, I'd say the eggs are definitely not good for eating. If so, if you have a rooster and wouldn't mind some chicks in the yard, and your Dad is ok with it, can you let her keep her nest and brood her babies?

We don't have a rooster, and she does come out a lot. She's wandering around the yard right now with her friends (Snow White, another EE and Goldilocks, a GSL). This morning she was desperate to get out of the coop, soon as she got out she ran into the bush, stayed for about 5 min., then came right back out again like nothing happened. There has been some pretty high temperatures the last week, so it may be that even though she is not broody, the eggs are still not good to eat. What's your advice?

We don't have a rooster, and she does come out a lot. She's wandering around the yard right now with her friends (Snow White, another EE and Goldilocks, a GSL). This morning she was desperate to get out of the coop, soon as she got out she ran into the bush, stayed for about 5 min., then came right back out again like nothing happened. There has been some pretty high temperatures the last week, so it may be that even though she is not broody, the eggs are still not good to eat. What's your advice?
That's why I would test them. Broodies find an area usually that is cooler, so if her sitting hasn't heated them up, then they may be ok. You could even cook and feed back to the birds, but I'd do a float test no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom