Nevadans?

Spring Creek here. Started raising my first ducks in March. They have been a comical addition to our little plot of heaven in the high desert.

Spring Creek here. Started raising my first ducks in March. They have been a comical addition to our little plot of heaven in the high desert.
I know they are sooo cute and funny.... Just lost mine last night. Had 12 weeks from the bathtub littl fluff balls in my hand to full grown with a big run and two little pools... It was just the best and I don't know how to not be crushed because of freaking coyotes (oh they are OUT OF CONTROL out here, way too many, and they're starting to act not afraid of humans, and they're killing anything domesticated around here that they can get to.

Enjoy your waddling little sweethearts 💗

& Protect them from the coyotes... I'm assuming there's coyotes out there in Elko County.

I just am still even trying to accept that all my sweet little duckie-doo's are gone as off last night. One was just eaten away to nothing but wings and bill, which is so horrible and sad to see, but the other two were just killed and "played with" tossed around, chewed a bit, which THAT makes me very much have zero sympathy for the coyotea

At least my true wild mallard girl (spider-man-woman) she escaped the slaughter and flew away cause she can fly very well (the others couldn't fly... I'll never own a flightless duck again) ... So spiderman-woman flew away in the dark so all I can hope is she's found a pond out here in this desolate wasteland. ☹️

if you have poof dirt like we do out here, then putting the fence -2ft underground just won't do... The dirt is just not firm enough to make that an actual obstacle for a few hungry coyotes... So that's all I got today:

If you got poof dirt (just like silt, or even sandy silt) any coyotes or badgers or anything, neighbors misbehaving dogs... Ya gotta dig deep, and probably should fill back in with some gravel along with the dirt.... Or Constantine wire underground so any attempt to dig will result in blood paws before the ducks would ever be at risk.

.... I wish I hadn't assumed I did things right only to loose my little quackers, duckie-doo, duckie-poos, too cute too handle, babies 😭

But we had a real good 12 & 1/2 weeks together. Wish I'd been a better smarter duck mom tho...

Maybe I can buy a hatching eggs and handle one very imprinted duck that will be happy with me indoors or anywhere, in a duck diapers and also cool to go around with me in a side sling thing or whatever to be carried around.... I can't do the outdoor duck thing anymore... Just can't, not anytime soon, after that bloodbath.

Sorry if I I am being a downer.... Just I don't want anyone else to go thru this, and yeah I'm just sad, so I thought I'd share, cause it's a real bummer. Raised those little goofs from puffballs in my hands and my bathtubs to building the a whole are and shelter outside, setting up pools, figuring out how to give them adequate shade and space to play etc etc... And then : no more ducks anymore.

☹️

So just, yeah, beware the coyotes, especially if they're gaining numbers and getting bold, coming out after sunrise, not scattering away from humans or dogs... Wish I'd had a shotgun with some rocksalt shot.... I coulda at least convince 3 to never come round here Anymore.

RIP; Honey Dumpling, Mr Bean, & Monsieur Candie .... Safe travels Spider Man... Spider duck Spider duck, does whatever a spider duck does.... How she's still doing it

Dang, what a crap day.

I do wish you very very well with your quacking additions to your piece of the desert. Much love yo it is just 🦆💗🦆💗🦆💗🦆

I know they are sooo cute and funny.... Just lost mine last night. Had 12 weeks from the bathtub littl fluff balls in my hand to full grown with a big run and two little pools... It was just the best and I don't know how to not be crushed because of freaking coyotes (oh they are OUT OF CONTROL out here, way too many, and they're starting to act not afraid of humans, and they're killing anything domesticated around here that they can get to.

Enjoy your waddling little sweethearts 💗

& Protect them from the coyotes... I'm assuming there's coyotes out there in Elko County.

I just am still even trying to accept that all my sweet little duckie-doo's are gone as off last night. One was just eaten away to nothing but wings and bill, which is so horrible and sad to see, but the other two were just killed and "played with" tossed around, chewed a bit, which THAT makes me very much have zero sympathy for the coyotea

At least my true wild mallard girl (spider-man-woman) she escaped the slaughter and flew away cause she can fly very well (the others couldn't fly... I'll never own a flightless duck again) ... So spiderman-woman flew away in the dark so all I can hope is she's found a pond out here in this desolate wasteland. ☹️

if you have poof dirt like we do out here, then putting the fence -2ft underground just won't do... The dirt is just not firm enough to make that an actual obstacle for a few hungry coyotes... So that's all I got today:

If you got poof dirt (just like silt, or even sandy silt) any coyotes or badgers or anything, neighbors misbehaving dogs... Ya gotta dig deep, and probably should fill back in with some gravel along with the dirt.... Or Constantine wire underground so any attempt to dig will result in blood paws before the ducks would ever be at risk.

.... I wish I hadn't assumed I did things right only to loose my little quackers, duckie-doo, duckie-poos, too cute too handle, babies 😭

But we had a real good 12 & 1/2 weeks together. Wish I'd been a better smarter duck mom tho...

Maybe I can buy a hatching eggs and handle one very imprinted duck that will be happy with me indoors or anywhere, in a duck diapers and also cool to go around with me in a side sling thing or whatever to be carried around.... I can't do the outdoor duck thing anymore... Just can't, not anytime soon, after that bloodbath.

Sorry if I I am being a downer.... Just I don't want anyone else to go thru this, and yeah I'm just sad, so I thought I'd share, cause it's a real bummer. Raised those little goofs from puffballs in my hands and my bathtubs to building the a whole are and shelter outside, setting up pools, figuring out how to give them adequate shade and space to play etc etc... And then : no more ducks anymore.

☹️

So just, yeah, beware the coyotes, especially if they're gaining numbers and getting bold, coming out after sunrise, not scattering away from humans or dogs... Wish I'd had a shotgun with some rocksalt shot.... I coulda at least convince 3 to never come round here Anymore.

RIP; Honey Dumpling, Mr Bean, & Monsieur Candie .... Safe travels Spider Man... Spider duck Spider duck, does whatever a spider duck does.... How she's still doing it

Dang, what a crap day.

I do wish you very very well with your quacking additions to your piece of the desert. Much love yo it is just 🦆💗🦆💗🦆💗🦆
Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry. I would be so heart broken.

Our first line of defense is a 5 foot wire welded deer fence. Deer are the garden enemy out here. I lost about $150 in perenniels last year. Anyway, although not really predator proof, it keeps the ducks in the small yard.

At night, they are in a makeshift house locked behind a 1/2" welded wire pen. Welded wire surrounds, top, bottom, sides, of the pen. It's not 100%, but keeps out larger predators. We did NOT expect the price of wood to be so bad this year. And the pen shows it.

Coyotes are around, but seldom see them. They are not out of control here like the deer population.

I am sending a virtual hug.

20210714_103230.jpg

I'm not sure if a post like this allowed in this thread, but sure someone will direct me. I'm beginning to believe this boy needs a larger flock of hens than what I can provide.

I live in Spring Creek (Elko County) and don't want to butcher him. He is an Ancona, almost 5 months old (bought the crew at Cals on March 4). Because his breed is one that is recovering, I would love to see him passing on his beauty and giant personality to future generations.

I am willing to give him to the right home in Elko County. I will deliver him or someone can come and get him, but he needs a Flock he can rule without much competition. The other male is not as aggressive towards the three hens and has a special connection with one of them.

Any takers? Please?

Hi everyone!

I'm actually located in SW Colorado and am looking for high(er) elevation hatching eggs most likely for shipping. If you have any of the following breeds, can you please dm me?

Silkies
FBCM
EE
CCL
Welsummers
Bielefelders
Brahmas
Salmon Faverolles
Julbilee Orpingtons

Thank y'all and have a wonderful Sunday!

Hello Nevada Chicken Friends! I am hoping someone can (or knows someone who can) help me out in my quest for Marraduna Basque hens. I have been looking for them for years and even ordered a bunch from Sand Hill last spring but they were unable to fill my order. I know there is a Basque community in Nevada and I was hoping that I may be able to find a breeder willing to ship hatching eggs. Thanks for your time.

Back
Top Bottom