Nevadans?

Quote:
No problem a few days won't make much difference.

Hope everybody had a great weekend!!! DH and I had an awesome weekend! I thought being an empty-nester was supposed to be a sad time!
lol.png
I do worry more about the kids when they don't check in though.
hmm.png
Tryin not to...
roll.png

Although this is not a news flash for some parts of the state, this is a big deal here: A golden eagle was stalking my chickens today...A GOLDEN EAGLE in Las Vegas! We scared it off and everyone is fine but whoa....
ep.gif

Quote:
Oh boy! Time to cover the run! They can take down a small deer.
sad.png
Gorgeous birds but you will need to protect your flock now that the eagle knows they are there. I had heard that Goldens were moving into lower elevation areas in Denmark but didn't realize it was happening there in Vegas! I've never seen one here in Reno but I know they have been spotted in Carson City so I'm sure they are here as well. The biggest concentration of them anywhere is in the Bay Area, where DH and I are from, in Alameda County so I am very familiar with them. Good luck! I hope it finds plenty to eat far, far, far away from your flock (and everyone else's)!
hmm.png

Last edited:
With an Eagle on the loose we would have to put my daughters dog in a shelter. I agree with the cover. I've heard of some people using flags or pieces of metal on fish line or rope as well. Anything that does not allow the eagle to dive at the birds. of course trying stuff like that might have a trial and error period. I would just cover them and not worry about it.

I covered my run, not just for the predators (I've even seen bald eagles out here on occasion!) but also to keep the wild birds - especially pigeons - away from my flock and out of their feed. I was moslty concerned about disease and parasites.

Hi everyone! We've been on vacation and had a bit of trouble with the chickens about the 4th day into our vacation. My mom next door has been taking care of them for me and had to rescue Nan, the little while Sultan. A couple of birds decided to pick on her and she's got a nice little scab on the top of her head now. This happed last Wednesday. My mom immediately removed her and has been keeping her in a box in the kitchen. I figured she would be one of the first to be picked on since she is the smallest and but she has always fought back when they try to push her away from the food. I guess they just got the best of her that day.

My delimma is what to do next. Do I let her heal some more and try to re-introduce her to the flock and run the risk of not getting there in time the next time it happens or do I relocate her? She is such a sweety and don't want her getting permanent damage (if that hasn't happen already). I would love any advice you all have and if I need to relocate her, would anyone be interested in her. I have two polish that are very gently and leave her alone. It just seems it was the barred rocks, wyandottes and EE's that were after her. If anyone has a pen in the Vegas area with just Polish or such and are interested I would love to hear. Thanks!

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear about your little Sultan getting attacked. I've been in your situation and it's no fun. Hopefully someone down there can help out.

Ok, I finally got some pics taken.
smile.png
Took forever, they either run from the camera or crowd it!
roll.png

Here are most of the number ones and twos, except for an EE & a Cuckoo marans on the left (top pic) which are very brave # 3s.
wink.png

They are numbered with 1s being the oldest (over a year) and 4s are the youngest (16 weeks).

41069_aug_10_flock3.jpg

41069_aug_10_flock8.jpg

This is "Silver Belle", you regulars have been watching her grow up. She is 23 weeks now and is the sister to the blue Orp cross roos Genny had posted a bit ago. (a number 2)

41069_silver_belle.jpg

This is one of the BCM triplets. They look so much alike I can't tell them apart yet. (also a number 2)

41069_bcm_pullet.jpg

Here is one of my Dels "Serty Girl" 'cause she is the most assertive young-un I've ever seen! (a number 4)

41069_delaware_pullet.jpg

Here is one of the wheaton Ameraucana gals "Sun Flower". (a number 4)

41069_wheaton_pullet.jpg

And one of the black Ameraucana boys "Spanky". I keep hoping he's a she since he doesn't have much in the way of a tail or saddle feathers like his brother but that comb says "Roo". This is the roo I first gave to Humbrd 'cause I thought the other one was a pullet but a week after I brought him back home his "sister" started developing a nice red comb and some very impressive saddle feathers.
sad.png
(also a number 4)

41069_amroo4.jpg

I have a total of 29 chickens right now but I am getting 2 Barnevelder pullets in a week and a half which will bring me up to 31. One over my ideal, even with the coop bumpout.
hide.gif
Oh well, I'll just have to build a second coop for any newbies after this.
I couldn't get any pics of the welsummers or the other EEs (#3s). They are still too shy of the camera. They are just now getting less jumpy of me. Point a big black thing at them and they go running!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom