Nevadans?

Wow this is an active thread! I know a couple of people who have chickens here in Vegas and one family did have one die from the heat last summer so I'm pretty worried about that. I know a few tricks but we'll just have to see. I swear if it was up to my kids they'd bring the chickens INSIDE on hot days. They all love those little birds so much
smile.png
I think someone asked where we got our birds and I hatched 5 from eggs I got from a friend, 5 were hatched at a nearby elementary school from eggs from Gilcrease and I bought 4 at IFA on Dean Martin. That's where I get my feed too. I would love to raise our own meat chickens but we're pushing it having hens on our property and meat birds would be too much for sure. We have ours as pets for the kids as well as for the eggs but I'm not opposed to eating them if necessary so my kids have been forewarned about that possibility. We've had chicks for about a month now and it's been great!

I wish you the best of luck with your flock! I did lose one to the heat last summer but she was a little thing and I'm sure the other's pushed her away from the waterers.
sad.png

Quote:
We've got lot's off frozen fruit tree's in Northern Nevada right now.

Omg I had to read that twos before I got it. Duh, it's forking freezing here right now! Hahaha!

I built the babies a new coop today, and I went out when the sun went down to make sure they were in it an wth it was RAINING! freezing rain! ( of course the babies were sleeping on the roof of the coop, and the crippled chick was sleeping on the ground next to it crying for her friends to come down)

frow.gif
to all the new peeps who have joined the thread.

We have been building a new coop and a couple new coop runs, yup even in this lovely spring weather. Gonna have turkeys hatching in a week or so (might be 10 days) - got the eggs from my wonderful neighbor.

Got broodies a settin' and snow a fallin'
hmm.png

Quote:
We've got lot's off frozen fruit tree's in Northern Nevada right now.

lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Genny you are gonna be overrun with fowl! I think you need to let me have one of those new turkeys of yours! A fresh plump turkey for thanksgiving sounds really good! Shoot! Now I'm craving turkey and I'm not gonna be able to wait until Thanksgiving.

Oh that reminds me I've got ribs that have to go in the oven soon or they won't be done til tomorrow.

I haven't forgotten about pics Aubrey. There are so many I'm having a hard time picking through them all and deciding on a few to share. I did get them all off of the camera though (that alone took a couple of hours).
roll.png
I'll post them soon. I promise.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Did you see my turkey pic? I need to take another one now that they are in the brooder - I can get better poses. I think they were chilly when I took that one.
wink.png

Quote:
That's very poetic!
big_smile.png

Hi Everyone,
frow.gif

Just checked the incubator again got 7 pips so far.
ya.gif

On the average once they start piping how long does it take for them to hatch?
We're a first time hatchers.
idunno.gif

Any help would be appreciated. We're starting too get very exited.
wee.gif
:

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom