Nevadans?

lol.png
Ron I still have all the winter blankets on the bed too.

It is booty short weather here for sure. My chickens are all airing out their pits and panting. About to head out and do another water check. Enjoy the cool weather while it lasts. Before you know it, it will be hot and it will be wild fire season. I don't miss the fires for sure.

It has been raining and not very sunny here but my coop and run are still dry as a bone. Maybe it is the way I keep the coop but the wind has been horrendous so that might be making the difference. I use a mix of grass and alfalfa baled hay in the coops, the grass gives a nice nesting material while the alfalfa gives them something to eat along with mess up and it pretty much always smells like hay. I clean it out about once a month and it is always dry in there. I tried using straw and pine shavings but it stays wet and when straw or pine shavings get wet, they smell to high heaven. At least that has been my experience. I do not know why the hay stays as dry as it does but it has never done me wrong. The worms really like eating it as well.
big_smile.png

Who ever takes those BCMs please spoil them. I had to figure out some things here and I have to not add much right now until things are taken care of. I don't pass up a good BCM, but I also had to be realistic about some things, so I figured they should go to someone who is in a better situation right now. Otherwise those babies would be coming here.

Sunny I wish there was a way you could still keep all of your birds. Cherylcohen had the same problem and she worked things out with a friend. Wish I was close and had space for you.

Hello, I haven't been on in a week or so.

SunnyDawn,
if your still looking to get rid of your BCM's I may be interested. I only got 13 out of my hatch and We've got plenty of room for more.If Aubrey is willing to bring them down, we could work something out!!
ya.gif

Let me know, Brian

Last edited:
Quote:
I was originally trying to find someone closer (or on the way to the Bay Area) so that I could still get eggs but I think I'm about out of options. I called the 4H program cause we have donated birds to them before but they don't make those kinds of arrangements. I am so stressed over this. I have to take another pic of Clark so you can see how magnificent he is now, then you would know why I'm so upset that I can't keep him! It is so hard to find really good FBCMs! I feel like I'll never find a group like this again if I let him go so far away. Sorry, I'm being selfish. Better he goes to someone that will appreciate him than to the city. I have one other lady that was interested in them but she is way out in Stagecoach so I have been putting it off but Stagecoach is closer than Vegas. Brian do you ever travel North so we could meet once a year for an egg exchange?

Justuschicks you'll have to de a run around the yard in flip flops for us! Hoist your iced lemonade high in the air and think of us here.
lol.png

Personally I can't wait for the 90 degree weather!
tongue.png
I do hope it comes without the dry lightening and the fires this year though! At least we haven't had the whole state catch on fire like poor California did! My DD lost almost everything in the first of those fires. They were gone from the house though so they were all safe and sound. The devastation was horrific!

Hello again everyone! I posted a comment a few weeks ago but then my computer crashed and I'm just now able to get back on here!
smile.png
I can't seem to find my origianl post so if some of you responded - thanks! but I'm afraid I missed it... so now I'm going to try again and hope you'll bear with me!

I'm looking for some hatching eggs - preferably French Black Copper Marans. Those seem a little hard to come by - so my next choice would be some kind of "unique" looking chicken - like Polish or ?? My other choice would be something that lays "non-white" eggs.

I would also be interested in finding some "day-old" chicks - or better yet - some eggs from an incubator that are maybe a week or so away from hatching! I know that's a strange request - but I'm looking for something to put under my Peahen who has been faithfully setting on fake eggs now for several weeks. I'd love to give her something to hatch - but at this late date fresh eggs would take too long. (Peahens set for about 27 days)

I also have a hen that just started setting so she can take "fresh" eggs.
smile.png

Thanks for listening! Please let me know if any of you have any eggs, chicks or ideas!
BTW, I am in Vegas.

I am new to raising chickens. I have been lurking for months. This forum is beyond addicting.

I live in Reno and have 6 week old chicks--4 girls and one roo. The roo was supposed to be a pullet but is sooo not a pullet. He is a BR with a very red comb and waddles. His name is Ballerina courtesy of my 4 year old daughter. He is going to a good home. Probably to be eaten.

Anyhoo, thought I would just say 'Hi!'

Jess

Back
Top Bottom