Nevadans?

Quote:
Welcome to the Nevada thread Dirtgirl!!!
frow.gif
I'll add you to the opening post now. I assume we have another gardening enthusiast? Either that or you are a big fan of quadding or dirt bikes.
lol.png
Or something else I haven't thought of?...
That coop of yours is absolutely adorable!!! When you get it finished you will need to submit it for the BYC coop contest! I'd definitely vote for it!
thumbsup.gif

Aubrey I wish I could help but I'm not doing any more hatches until I get my bator modified.
hmm.png

Good luck with the coop Elizabeth! Yes I was so surprised when we moved here to see how many folks have huge amounts of lawn! Even in the Bay Area, where we only get occasional droughts, the only lawn I had was an area for the kids to play on. The rest of it was mostly xeric with a garden area and I turned part of it into a sunroom with a patio. We added a High Desert lawn in the back yard when we moved here too but I'm afraid the chickens found it really tasty.
gig.gif
Great avatar!

Lacey that's not violent at all! That's spirited and I'm just as bad.
tongue.png
Well I'm only on my feet when they are doing reeeally well so haven't done that for several seasons now! But yes I holler at the players and the refs. Not as loudly as I used to yell when we were season ticket holders and had paid a hefty fee for the priviledge of watching them lose in person but I still grumble now and then.
lol.png

Heather the friend we were supposed to get Silver eggs from has not had any luck with fertility.
sad.png
I've given up on the idea for now. Sounds like you had a great time camping! I love camping! You are right though, if you don't force yourself to stop and just make the time you will never have any time for yourself and it is sooo important to do so!!! Steve and I took our first real vacation in years this spring and it was heavenly! We went to Ecuador for 15 days. The people there are so nice and the country is very laid back. It was also very economical!
cool.png
Bummer about the costly feed situation though!
barnie.gif
I want to see that giant sequoia in about 200 years!
pop.gif

Sheryl I recommend you just force yourself to make the time! Time to yourselves with your family or friends is super important and it's too easy to keep saying "maybe some day..." Before you know it you've let a few decades go by with out taking some R&R. As Nike says, just do it!

Kaichai I'd love to see pics of your chickens as well! Course I'm a total pic hound and am so happy when anyone post pics here. I just love to look at pics.
clap.gif
*that's a hint to everybody that hasn't posted pics yet*
big_smile.png

We went to the rib cookoff this afternoon and got some ribs and pulled pork. We went late though and a couple places were already sold out of ribs. It was fun though. We love this event!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Oops 2 more posts hit while I was typing away.
tongue.png
Hi muckmuck/Max!
frow.gif
Welcome to the Nevada thread! We have quite a few Las Vegas area folks on here! I think they'll be happy to see you cause this thread is getting a little Reno heavy lately. Used to be the other way around.
lol.png

Sheryl I see you didn't need my advice. You posted the same thoughts before I could hit enter!
thumbsup.gif

OK off to add the new folks to the opening post! If anyone has thought of a nickname for themselves for the list on the first post let me know.
jumpy.gif

Hey Max.
welcome-byc.gif

Aubrey, youre about a week too late with me. I dont have an incubator, but two more hens went broody about the same time. Im not sure why theyre going so late in the year.
hu.gif
Im sorry. If I have another late broody this year, you wanna give it a shot? All girls are first time moms, but theyve done good.

Speaking of incubators, does anyone know how I can make a good one? Right now Im one of those horrible post grads staying at home with zero money. (Come on job!!
fl.gif
) ..Soo that translates to me making one. ^^ Ive looked at a couple on here, but they wont work for me.

frow.gif
Howdy muckmuck and dirtgirl01 and
welcome-byc.gif
Nevada thread! Awesome looking coop dirtgirl! I don't think I've ever seen one that elaborate on here.

Hey humbrd I picked up a few Giant Sequoias about two feet tall at the Nevada Division of Forestry's Washoe State Tree Nursery. Paid less that $5 ea for them. I picked up a total of about 30 trees there for around $75. The place is awesome and the people are very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend it!

Elizabeth I took the lawn out of the front yard of my last house first thing. I replaced it with river rock and couldn't have been happier! Like you and Sunny, I don't understand how people can waste water on lawns when - HELLO! - we live in a desert! I know someone who stripped the native vegetation completely from his 2½ acres and planted it with lawn grass!
rant.gif
BTW your house painting job looks gorgeous - I'm very impressed!

I love the rabbit pics gaited horse and kaichai. Now you've got me wanting rabbits, too.
hmm.png

I'm with our friend from Dayton. Where I live there is only one real lawn on the whole road - and they're the ones who have the coyote, bear, and other issues. It's like every predator from miles around wants to live on that patch of grass. B^)

Quote:
Hay Sunny, Yes, we have been very busy this summer. Went camping for 10 days in June to Kings Canyon to see the Giant Sequoia. I bought some Giant Sequoia seeds from the forestry department there so, now, I am growing a Giant Sequoia.
lau.gif
Then in July, my son Paul went white water rafting on the American River with the Boy Scouts
ep.gif
Then in August we went for another 7 day camping trip to a nice quiet lake up near Summit with just a couple of friends on a private lake with the puppies and Kayak's. Yes, I said puppies... one of our Australian Cattle Dogs had pups two weeks before we were to go camping. We couldn't leave them behind.
idunno.gif

Did you ever get those silver Am eggs from your brother this spring?

Are you talking about Palomino on Hwy 395, south of Minden? We're almost neighbors; I'm off of Hwy 208 heading toward Wellington.

We've got a lawn, but we never remember to water it. lol doesnt count. Its gonna be lanscaped.

So Ive been taking a shot at editing pics. Check this one out and tell me what you think. Who was the photographer on here? Im sorry, I dont remember.
hmm.png

44410_img_7957.jpg

With this girl I just blacked out the back ground so hopefully it looks like it was taken in a studeo with proper stuff. This is the firs time Ive tried it, but Im happy with the outcome. Thats not saying I couldnt use practice before Im up to scratch.

Quote:
Looks awesome! I'm an amateur photographer but haven't mentioned it before so it must be someone else. I haven't done much since having my kids. I have a couple of film SLR's but don't have a digital SLR yet. I've mainly been using my digital point and shoot for the past 4 years.

Oh, and LOL on the lawn comment
lol.png
Our lawn in the backyard is really straggly. I do minimal watering and it gets treated rough with my kids and hubby playing soccer on it. Once we get the chicken run on part of it, that will eliminate the watering for that section.

Elizabeth

Last edited:
Yeah, the dogs love playing on the lawn, and my family does it sometimes. The chickens will kill the lawn soo fast though. I had a small chicken tracter I moved out there with a broddy hen and like six chicks earlier this year, and within a week she destroyed it. My mom told me to move it out back, then I looked, and we had this perfect square of dirt in the middle of our lawn.
lol.png
I told mom it wasnt so bad, that just meant we had to plant a tree there.

Do you have any photography tips you wouldnt mind sharing? I want ot get better so bad, and Ive come to a point in my life that doing it on my own just isnt working anymore.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom