Headcock

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Las Vegas
sad.png

I have a couple of welsummers and barred rock that are 9 months old,
and have never ever, laid one single egg! I have them on a good protein
diet, I feed them Cock Mix-19% protein and Layena.
Perhaps they are sterile...when should I give up????

I was ready to give up on a cochin I got in January that was a year old and molting but three days ago she laid an egg and has laid one every day since. My barred rocks and rir's all seemed to take about nine months to start laying. Hang in there a little while longer. If they start molting without laying, it's time to drag out the soup pot!

My Americuana did not lay until this spring and I got her last year as a 5 month old pullet some chickens take longer to get going in the egg dept. is there anyway they could have a hidden nest some where and not lay where the others lay just wondering I had to put a golf ball in the nest boxes to get the girls to start laying where they were supposed to.

Quote:
Mine were taking too long to lay . . . and everybody in my family laughed at me when I put golf balls in the laying nests. Within the week I had two hens laying. Could of just been a coincidence - - - but what could it hurt ?

I purchased 2 pullets 7 weeks ago. My first chickens. One started laying the next day. The other nothing yet. I was giving it up for a roo, but maybe I'm premature on that. How can you tell a hen from a rooster?

Some chickens take time to develop just like us human nobody hit puberty at the exact same moment. just give it some time i am sure that they will start to lay or crow in no time.

Back
Top Bottom