Never Mind! Installed Nipple Water in the run

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dbounds10, May 23, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Hey guys, any fool proof ideas on getting them to use the nipples? They have been on a regular water stand since I got them. I keep a 1 gallon water in the coop and door is open all day but being in texas, I wanted to provide clean fresh water in the run also.

Cant get them to catch on.

Edited - Went out this morning and they were all drinking out of it! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. timp123

timp123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Georgetown, Indiana
    Quote:When they are thristy.. they figure things out quickly!

Had a neighbor once that needed us to watch their dog... said he would only eat 1 type of food.. NOTHING else.. by the next day.. .apparently what I had tasted pretty good to him [​IMG]

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    We have a nipple waterer where we put the nipple on a piece of tubing and the container is this big plastic barrel. Anyway. It is just there in a shaded area of the run.
    Although I found I do need a hole in the top so they can drink from the thing. It is sitting in a stand with the tube dangling. Even girls that were not used to drinking from it are drawn to the red color and figure it out. Sometimes I fill it with ice.

Caroline

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

If you push on the nipples and have a drip of h2o dangling then they will go after it and then get more water as they play with it and then the others will notice what the first one is doing and then it's pretty much a done deal after that.

5. chickenscott

chickenscott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Pacific NW
    My Coop
    I spent a half an hour out there trying to get them to "watch and learn". All they wanted to do was run out of the run and get into the garden. I am thinking of tying on something the dangles but do not want them to eat the dangeler. A tough question.

6. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I am having the same problem. I am afraid they'll dehydrate before they figure it out. They drink out of the dog's dish when I let them out. I need a camera to spy on them while I'm at work to see if they're playing me.

7. chrisl

chrisl New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Mine figured it out eventually. They had been drinking from a mason jar waterer. I just quit filling the jar and within a day or so they taught themselves to use the nipple waterer. When they get thirsty enough their instincts will take them to where they sense water and they'll figure it out.

8. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Silly chickens - sometimes they are so smart - others not so much lol.

9. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    My four week old BO's figured it out on the second day after I installed it. Not bad considering a combined IQ in the negatives.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by