Never say never

veronicasmom

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
I said I would never own chickens. Not because I dislike them, far from that. But I eat chicken and was kind of creeped out by owning a species that I eat. But, a young friend of mine has to rehome 2 bantam hens. I am seriously considering it due to the circumstances surrounding the rehoming issue. So, since I have a drake and 8 ducks, how safe would it be to get them and let them hang out with the ducks during the day. I would keep them alone in the barn at night. I asked around to some friends that have chickens so let's hope that one of them comes through. This girl also has a roo, but I cannot take him. This is all hypothetical right now, so just checking that having the drake near the hens would not be an issue. He is a runner drake, so he is not all that big.

(Oh boy hubby is gonna leave me for sure if I do this..........................)

From what I understand, a drake could attempt to mate with the hens, and should that happen, they could suffer from internal injuries that could kill them. I've never heard of this happening, but it sounds like enough of a risk. A rooster could perhaps protect them, but then I wonder if the rooster and drake would fight.

How do the ducks hang during the day, a pen or free range?
If penned, I'd do a separate pen for the bantam chickens. I don't have bantams here as I free range and they are just too small for here to not be carried away.

Turns out I found a great home for the hens. I don't know where the roo will end up. I know she wants him to go to a nice home, but I don't see that happening. Very very sad. But the girls will be well taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom