Never Thought It Would Be A Bear.....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SilkieMama17, Jun 18, 2011.

1. SilkieMama17

SilkieMama17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Alfred
    When I got my first small flock of Silkie chickens this past Spring, I never thought I'd lose them....let alone to a bear. I figured if anything ever got to them, it would be a fox....we have like 100s of foxes around us. But sadly, the other morning around 9:30am I looked out my front door to see a young bear ripping apart my babies. [​IMG] Worst day of my life. He killed 2 of them, then came back at dinner time for the 3rd. Now, I have no chickens.....but I have a nuicence (sp?) bear instead.....great! [​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry for your loss. That is really sad. Why was the third silkie left out in the coop after the bear had killed 2? They always come back. The only way to stop bears, do a search on here because someone else dealt with them, is a high power electric fence and good bear fencing. They can rip doors off, break through them and windows cannot stand up against a bear assault.

Contact the local wildlife department and tell them about the bear..sometimes they will trap a nuisance bear and relocate it depending on how close it is to humans and etc.

3. SilkieMama17

SilkieMama17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Alfred
    The coop was destroyed completely. I didn't realize the 3rd chicken was alive until it was, sadly, too late. Never imagined we'd actually have to deal w/bears, as I've lived here for years w/o ever seeing one. Sucked so bad. DEC has been here 2x now since and are finally talking about trapping and relocating the bear.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Had you brought the chicken in, your house would have been torn apart just like the coop. Once a bear taste chicken or any other livestock, there is only one way to deal with it. Once that is done, you can have some mighty fine bacon to go with your eggs in the moring.

5. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    So sorry for your loss. How scary is that! Hope it gets resolved.

6. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I am sorry nothing worse than seeing your pets killed.
    We had a bear hanging around here and the electric fence was powered up, they don't cross it.
    In time if you think about getting chickens again also think about perimeter electric fencing.

I just went with a honey farmer to his bee yards high up in the mountains. All of his yards are surrounded by solar powered electric fencing, no problem with bears. The hives at my neighbors place about 1 mile from me were completely destoyed by a bear, no electric fencing.

7. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    sorrey for your loss freaking bears [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  8. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] but once again so sorry dont stop raising them just take care of the bear first

9. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    The fence I put up also stops neighbors dogs, opossums, and I believe a coyote
    Sorry for the trauma, and your loss call the rangers, or there are several trappers who can relocate it to a forest far away

10. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    i hope you can figure out something so where a different bear comes back that the same thing doesn't happen. maybe an electric fence will give em a jolt or two to send em packin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by