new $100 chicken coop

I don't know how hot it gets there but there doesn't seem to be much ventilation especially is the sun shines in all the window.

but very nice

Wow, thanks for all the nice comments!

There is considerable ventilation at the top on the garage side- not visible in the pictures- and also through the bottom thanks to a 1/2" gap on two sides. Both are covered with a triple layer of chicken wire (I was going to buy hardware cloth, but holy cow is that expensive). During the day the coop door of course but the ladies don't go in at all in daytime. With nighttime temps around 60 now overheating isn't an issue. I left an 18" roof overhang in the front so no sun or rain hits that window at all. In the winter I'll have a light bulb in there for heat. I figured I could always add ventilation later with a hole saw.

The day after I got my pullets the hurricane hit. We had 85 mph winds, and the ladies stayed dry- so it's hurricane tested...

Spicy Original & Crispy - The KFC chicks
lau.gif
gig.gif
cute names!

I luv the window, and they look happy. Nice artwork too
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I love it, but I am having some issues with it reeling the line in too far. I set it as per the directions, and it will work 10 times in a row, then the 11th time it will reel the door up three extra inches, all the way up into the unit. Then I have to get in there and manually flip the switch and re-set everything. I'm sure it's probably operator error and that I will get it figured out. It will be very handy when we are on a trip or when we just want to sleep in.

Back
Top Bottom