New 1yr old Broad breasted hens

Cbishop58

Chirping
Aug 26, 2020
Hi all, I just got 2 broad breasted hen turkeys that are 1 yr old. We have had them for 5 days now and my other hen accepted them in to the flock. Our Tom red bourbon turkey has been following them around quite a lot.
My issue is today one of the new hens she runs to the gate when she sees me which is so sweet but she will crouch down with her wings dropped to the side. When I go in the pasture. She has done this about 4 or 5 times. She did not want to go inside the coop tonight so she crouched down again twice and my husband had to carry her in. Our Tom Turkey was the only thing she got up for and went in to perch.

Is this normal behavior for a Turkey?

Attachments

• C83D0B67-CA99-4735-9F34-8CEC8DDC81FE.jpeg
    C83D0B67-CA99-4735-9F34-8CEC8DDC81FE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 41
Sounds like she is imprinted on humans and like @Molpet stated she is getting in a mating position for you. Has she done it for your Tom at all?
Sounds like she is imprinted on humans and like @Molpet stated she is getting in a mating position for you. Has she done it for your Tom at all?
No she has not done it yet for my tom.
The lady we got her and another from handled them a lot. The grandchildren played with them. She has 12 turkey hens together raised from poults. They were kept in a very small homemade net & pvc enclosure for daytime grazing. This is the first time she and her friend have had 1/4 acre to free range graze in a fenced pasture. They also have never roosted.
They now can live like real turkeys.

Mating position
I thought that’s what she was doing. She was owned by an older lady with grandchildren that handled them. They had a very small enclosure with 12 of them together.
She loves to be handled I am not picking her up I let her follow me around while I do chores. I have her friend she was raised with she is more independent. This is the first time they have a 1/4 acre free range grazing and roost as well. They can now live like a Turkey. Will being imprinted on a human be hard for her to mate with my Tom?
My Tom likes to chase the 3 hens around. He has tried to mate with my Narragansett hen she is not quite ready. She will crouch down the last few days too.

I do not imprint my poults. My turkeys know there is a difference between people and turkeys. They conduct turkey business with each other and avoid people.
I'd avoid it if possible but my wife and son think turkeys are irresistibly adorable. DW appreciates their personalities and my son says they're ''chill" and aren't violent like chickens. I treat turkeys like livestock.

I do not imprint my poults. My turkeys know there is a difference between people and turkeys. They conduct turkey business with each other and avoid people.
How can I undo what the last owner did in imprinting on them?
I just ignored her today and put her with my Tom and the older female for a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom