New addition: Light Brahma

LaniChicken

Hatching
Mar 16, 2021
Today I got 2 new additions to my flock...Light Brahma hens!! I've been looking for this breed for ages. They are very rare where I live. Finally got these 2 from a breeder. They are 6 months at the moment. Any advice or tips on how to properly raise these ladies? And when do they start laying? I cannot wait till they are fully grown.

Attachments

• 20210329_174756.jpg
    20210329_174756.jpg
    673.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210329_174857.jpg
    20210329_174857.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210329_194916.jpg
    20210329_194916.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 19
Light brahmas are a wonderful breed! I had two but one died from a pecking injury. They are very docile so make sure yours don't get bullied by any other chickens. They are late bloomers, mine didn't start laying until they were 7 months old. And keep an eye on their legs, their feathers could hide any potential problems. Beautiful birds!

I love Brahmas! The pullets I hatched last year, on the last days of march, began laying this february (about 10.5/11 months old), when all thr hens restart after the winter pause. Then, had one hatched by a broody in late april which began laying in late november (7 months old). As said, keep an eye on their legs and also try to avoid them going into too much mud ;)

Today I got 2 new additions to my flock...Light Brahma hens!! I've been looking for this breed for ages. They are very rare where I live. Finally got these 2 from a breeder. They are 6 months at the moment. Any advice or tips on how to properly raise these ladies? And when do they start laying? I cannot wait till they are fully grown.
I have 1 light and 2 dark Brahmas 8+ weeks old. Was given them free by someone who no longer wanted. I know nothing about this breed other than the light one lives me.

I started out with several different breeds in 2017, got rid of them after a couple of years (they went to freezer camp) and began raising Brahmas. I was surprised to find their eggs are stronger, they are gentler than other breeds, and they are a heritage meat bird. I'm totally sold on this breed. And their roosters are so empathetic, it's really sweet. If one of the girls is fussing, the rooster fusses 😊 So cute!

Back
Top Bottom