New addition to the farm (pyr puppy)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jaybr, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    I've been looking for awhile for a good farm dog to guard the place and keep the vermin away. I raise Foxhounds but they have extreme hunting drive and will run game for miles. I had one that I left out, and never had fox or deer near the house, but he would run all night and sleep on the porch all day and I suspect he was hit by a car as he disappeared a few months ago. We also have an aussie, but he's the wifes lapdog and I can't leave him out unattended.

After all the great things I've read on here, this weekend I found Pyr pups in the trading post and picked one up yesterday. He is a 12 week old male, he is not registed but I could care less. He was born and raised in a sheep pasture, but seems to be acclimating well to my place. Both parents where on premises and guarding the sheep, beautiful dogs and seemed well manered.

[​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    wow look thats a chunk a dog LOL I need one of those but I might wait a few years to get one
    [​IMG]

Just remember I have heard all the little stories of "accidents" that pyr puppies cause with fowl at first because they are a bit to energetic with them when they are young.

Henry

3. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    beautiful!!! i got one on friday and love him to death1 awesome dogs,mines 23 weeks and named tonto. whats his name?

4. Jaybr

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    Quote:Haven't named him yet, just got him last night and my wife and son haven't seen him yet. You know I can't name him without input from the wife [​IMG]

It will probably take more effort to keep her from spoiling him than it will train the dog.

5. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Spoil away! Ours are the best LG dogs I have ever seen and both of them are spoiled rotten! Its OLD ways to say a LGD HAS to stay away from people to protect the flocks.. A well socialized LGD is a WAY better asset to the farm. Goodluck and enjoy! We have Minis, Cattle, horses and birds.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    VERY pretty pup you have there! Enjoy! [​IMG]

7. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    They are such beautiful dogs, they are!

8. Jaybr

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    Looks like Bear is his name according to the girls in the house :|

He's already enjoying the air conditioning.

He lays nice and calm at the gate when I go into the chicken yard, unlike our aussie who paces around the fence with me scolding him the whole time.

Those double dew claws are freaky looking though :eek:

9. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    He's gorgeous! What a big lovely polar Bear! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by