New additions...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SunAngel, Feb 1, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    We spent the day finishing up the new brooder inside my big coop. My old one was on the floor and too hard to visit with the chicks inside, so we raised it up off the floor, which gave me storage underneath and on top as well. Heres pics with my 13 mixed bantams checking out their new home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We took some time out from building today to go visit silkieluver_07. We brought her two 4 mo old standard Cochins and this is what I got in exchange....(oh, and a bunch more eggs for my incubator)...Thanks Hannah!!

8 Silkies, one BO and one EE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My cat Blizzard trying to decide which one would make the best snack...bad kitty!
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    they are precious jean

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats an awesome Brooder. Thats exactly what i want hubby to build me in my coop. I want to use the underneath for a rabbit play area, with a door to an outside hutch for fresh air and daylight [​IMG] Your so lucky to have it all built. Nice Work [​IMG]

4. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Adorable chicks and a great set up. Good idea to move the brooder up so you can enjoy it more and they get to see you too.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What a great job with multiple brooders!!

You can always be hatching!

6. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Very nice brooder
    And what sweet babies

I have a question my little brooder us to small for more then two or three chicks I see you have your little ones in a guinea pig cage how do you keep the heat in?

7. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks everyone! I am very pleased with it! The 13 chicks seem to have plenty of room in there.

I wish I would have done this in the first place. Seems there is always something to redo, improve on or completely change lol.

citalk2much:

I just put the heat lamp up above the cage and the thermometer inside reads 95 constantly. They seem to do ok. I usually have my chicks in a rabbit hutch with only the front being wire, but my sick Phoenix pullet is living in there at the moment. I have raised 4 or 5 sets of chicks in the guinea pig cage so far though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by