1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New and need help finding chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mac1020, Apr 27, 2016.

1. mac1020

mac1020 New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    Hi guys, I've been reading the forums here for a few months and finally joined. I have been reading here and searching the Internet trying to find the chicks I want.

I had chickens about 6 years ago (10 RIR production) but we lost the house and had to move into a rental. Well now we have land again and I just completed the coop based on the "coop there it is" coop I found on here.

I am looking for Rhode Island Red chicks that are the heritage strain, I am looking to build a sustainable flock for both eggs and meat. Looking for more of a homesteading type of setup, I'm somewhat of a prepper.

I have emailed cackle hatchery asking them if their birds were heritage and their response was "heritage production" which left me confused.

So now I have an empty coop I need to fill. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you

2. Serenity06

Serenity06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama
    On the Cackle Hatchery website it does say their Rhode Island Reds come from a heritage chicken bloodline. You can also try poultryshowcentral.com

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by