Looking for pullets

1sttimechickenmom

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2023
Hello!!

I am wondering if anyone has had success at buying a variety of pullets from a hatchery or someplace with shipping options. I have been looking online and was considering Heritage Pullets until I saw the reviews they received here. Thank you to those who shared! There are some highly rated places based on an internet search but pricing is all over the board. I would love input from those of you that went this route.

I am wondering if anyone has had success at buying a variety of pullets from a hatchery or someplace with shipping options.
Are you looking for day-old sexed chicks?

Or for started pullets, old enough that they no longer need a heat source?

Or for point-of-lay pullets, grown up and almost ready to lay eggs?

I only have experience with day-old chicks, not older ages.

I have ordered 1 day old chicks from Meyer Hatchery and I am happy with their chickens. Received a lot of compliments at a chicken swap how pretty and great they are looking. Others chickens where about half the size of ours at the same age.
I had no issues with their sexing of the day old chicks either.

Are you looking for day-old sexed chicks?

Or for started pullets, old enough that they no longer need a heat source?

Or for point-of-lay pullets, grown up and almost ready to lay eggs?

I only have experience with day-old chicks, not older ages.
I am looking for started pullets, 15 - 16 weeks. I am a new chicken mom and don't quite feel ready for the chick process. I have some friends who started with pullets that were already laying eggs. They went to a Mennonite market for theirs but I am hoping not to wait until Spring to get started.

I am looking for started pullets, 15 - 16 weeks. I am a new chicken mom and don't quite feel ready for the chick process. I have some friends who started with pullets that were already laying eggs. They went to a Mennonite market for theirs but I am hoping not to wait until Spring to get started.
In that case, my own experience would not help you (day-old chicks), but hopefully someone else will be able to share.

Best wishes for happy chicken-keeping in this new year!

Back
Top Bottom