New and Needing Help Immediately

abbeysue

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
I have used this site many times before, and have found great advice. I joined today, and am hoping for some help...My hen was recently attacked by what I believe was a raccoon. I found her with her back all scratched up and two puncture wounds under her chest. I immediately took her inside, cleaned the wounds, and started her on Baytril. I have put antibiotic ointment on her wounds twice daily. Her mouth had blood in it, and she couldn't close it. I took q-tips and soaked them with pedialyte to clean her mouth. She has not been eating or drinking. For the last couple of days, I have tube fed her pedialyte and starter feed liquefied in my blender. She has been steadily getting better. However, last night while feeding her, she suddenly jerked from me and swallowed the feeding tube. It is very soft rubber and about two and half inches long. I can feel it in her crop. What do I do now? This has never happened before. I have grieved over this all night long. Any suggestions?

images

Welcome to BYC! '

Unfortunately your posting is cut off and can not be seen. If you can repost, we can help you out.

But we do welcome you to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Your post is cutting out but I think this is the entire one. I see you posted on the Emergencies forum, hope you are able to get some answers. I would be inclined to leave her be for now, you don't really want to do crop surgery to get it out and I can't think of any other way to right now. It isn't that long and is soft, chickens swallow weird stuff pretty often that just passes through. QUOTE: I have used this site many times before, and have found great advice. I joined today, and am hoping for some help...My hen was recently attacked by what I believe was a raccoon. I found her with her back all scratched up and two puncture wounds under her chest. I immediately took her inside, cleaned the wounds, and started her on Baytril. I have put antibiotic ointment on her wounds twice daily. Her mouth had blood in it, and she couldn't close it. I took q-tips and soaked them with pedialyte to clean her mouth. She has not been eating or drinking. For the last couple of days, I have tube fed her pedialyte and starter feed liquefied in my blender. She has been steadily getting better. However, last night while feeding her, she suddenly jerked from me and swallowed the feeding tube. It is very soft rubber and about two and half inches long. I can feel it in her crop. What do I do now? This has never happened before. I have grieved over this all night long. Any suggestions?
[COLOR=333333] I have used this site many times before, and have found great advice. I joined today, and am hoping for some help...My hen was recently attacked by what I believe was a raccoon. I found her with her back all scratched up and two puncture wounds under her chest. I immediately took her inside, cleaned the wounds, and started her on Baytril. I have put antibiotic ointment on her wounds twice daily. Her mouth had blood in it, and she couldn't close it. I took q-tips and soaked them with pedialyte to clean her mouth. She has not been eating or drinking. For the last couple of days, I have tube fed her pedialyte and starter feed liquefied in my blender. She has been steadily getting better. However, last night while feeding her, she suddenly jerked from me and swallowed the feeding tube. It is very soft rubber and about two and half inches long. I can feel it in her crop. What do I do now? This has never happened before. I have grieved over this all night long. Any suggestions? [/COLOR]

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. While the tube is soft, one end is larger than the other. She is responding well to the antibiotics, and I really hate to lose her from something like this. Again, thank you.

I am so technology challenged. My ex-husband referred to me as the "anti-tech". I have been asked to re post my original post. Hopefully, it comes thru ok and someone can help.

I have used this site many times before, and have found great advice. I joined today, and am hoping for some help...My hen was recently attacked by what I believe was a raccoon. I found her with her back all scratched up and two puncture wounds under her chest. I immediately took her inside, cleaned the wounds, and started her on Baytril. I have put antibiotic ointment on her wounds twice daily. Her mouth had blood in it, and she couldn't close it. I took q-tips and soaked them with pedialyte to clean her mouth. She has not been eating or drinking. For the last couple of days, I have tube fed her pedialyte and starter feed liquefied in my blender. She has been steadily getting better. However, last night while feeding her, she suddenly jerked from me and swallowed the feeding tube. It is very soft rubber and about two and half inches long. I can feel it in her crop. What do I do now? This has never happened before. I have grieved over this all night long. Any suggestions?

Have you tried flushing her crop with a lot of water and vomiting her? This might get the tube to come back up. Fill her crop up with a lot of water. Then lean her forward, holding her like a foot ball in one arm, other hand on the crop, lean forward and milk and squeeze the crop. You can only hold them like this for about 2 or 3 seconds so you don't aspirate them. Then you need to stand back upright. But it might come out with a lot of water in her crop.

I am not sure this will work but it might not hurt to try.

I am so technology challenged. My ex-husband referred to me as the "anti-tech". I have been asked to re post my original post. Hopefully, it comes thru ok and someone can help.

welcome-byc.gif

Look at my feeder tube it was long enough to go into the
crop and still stick out of the hens beak 4 inches .....

Always secure the tube to the syringe with tape or something ...

lesion's learned the hard way ....... Sorry ...

Back
Top Bottom