New and wanting to raise meat birds

cnj-tx50

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
North of Dallas, TX
I have had chickens now for 6 years and have a very large layer coop 10x16 and have 35 layers and 2 roos. I also have a "baby" coop for my momma's 10x10 with vinyl flooring and nest boxes at floor level and with a covered run that is 15x25. I have several people that have approched me about raising broilers and turkeys for the table and wanting to split cost and butchering. I am looking to order around 25 broiler chick at the end of September as that is when the last of my babies will be ready to move to the layer coop. at 8 weeks of age my babies start free ranging with the layers on 2 acres - our yard. I have a few questions if anyone could help me:

1.) Can I house these these chicks together until free range time?
2.) Is this big enough for both until then? Including the run?
3.) I have never really had any problems with illness with my birds but should I be concerned about health issues?
4.) Are turkeys processed - we do the processing ourselves with the broilers - the same as the broilers

I live in North Texas and winter time temps here are not too bad until January/February. Any ideasor information would be great! Thanks so much for helping us!

Back
Top Bottom