New Animals!!!

BrandoMan

Songster
May 30, 2011
Prewitt, NM USA
I just got me another Sheep (Ewe) Today. Dont have any idea what breed she is but she is all Black.. Also Picked up Two Piglets. I think she told me the Piglets are Duroc x Yorkshire x Landrace Breed. Id have to call and ask again to be 100% Sure. I have had sheep for awhile but this first time getting Piglets.. Should be a great time.

Do sheep need companions?

I want sheep but my husband doesn’t want to sheer them and I can barely keep up with homeschooling my kids, training/caring for my puppy plus chicken & other poultry chores that I would not be able to take on that task.

Congrats on the new animals. I once had a pet pig for 1 month and he passed away 😢 he touched my heart so much that I refuse to buy anymore pet pigs (and I don’t eat pork so no need for meat pigs).

Do sheep need companions?

I want sheep but my husband doesn’t want to sheer them and I can barely keep up with homeschooling my kids, training/caring for my puppy plus chicken & other poultry chores that I would not be able to take on that task.

Congrats on the new animals. I once had a pet pig for 1 month and he passed away 😢 he touched my heart so much that I refuse to buy anymore pet pigs (and I don’t eat pork so no need for meat pigs).

I have seen people with a single sheep but best to have some buddies. If your husband doesnt want to shear you can get goats. Most Sheep will shed there hair. It will start to come off and they will rub up against fence to get it off but rarely do they get rid of all of it. depemds on breed and genetic. Sometimes the need so help removing some. I had a pet potbelly pig as a kid. He lived in the house and was house broken. Also had a harness and could take him for walks.

I have seen people with a single sheep but best to have some buddies. If your husband doesnt want to shear you can get goats. Most Sheep will shed there hair. It will start to come off and they will rub up against fence to get it off but rarely do they get rid of all of it. depemds on breed and genetic. Sometimes the need so help removing some. I had a pet potbelly pig as a kid. He lived in the house and was house broken. Also had a harness and could take him for walks.

We have 7 Nigerian Dwarf goats and I love em. I just wanted sheep because I love lamb 🤣 I haven’t had lamb in so long, but it’s my favorite type of meat.

Maybe one day we’ll get sheep but probably not this year.

I had goats and had them housed with sheep. We ate all the goats, they pain in the ass and dont like goats except for baby goats they are funny. I dont like goats cause they tear your trees up. Had one strip all the bark off my trees and if you have young trees they will eat the thing to the base. Had welded wire fencing around the area of my trees and they tear it down to get to your trees. Sheep wont touch your trees just eat grass and weeds. Sheep are more mellow. I had a castrated dwarf goat and he was super freindly. Had a dog collar on him cause he would walk everywhere with you no matter where like a dog. I used to take him hiking with me but he was so freindly he would walk up to people wanting his side of belly scratched and his head scratched. Someone stole him. Think he just walked up to a stranger and they took him. He was castrated and his horn buds were burned down so he had no horns. he was only goat I would trust with young kids cause he was gentle and everyone would stare when they see a goat just walking beside you down the street. Didnt even need a leash or anything.

We have 7 Nigerian Dwarf goats and I love em. I just wanted sheep because I love lamb 🤣 I haven’t had lamb in so long, but it’s my favorite type of meat.

Maybe one day we’ll get sheep but probably not this year.

You can get Katahdin sheep! They self shed and are great meat sheep. We bought a lamb from another homesteader and it will be harvested this fall.

Heres a photo of the piglets sleeping. Will post more when I take some more pics hopefully in the morning.

Attachments

• 20200711_223111.jpg
    20200711_223111.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 3
heres a few more pics...

Attachments

• 20200713_152805.jpg
    20200713_152805.jpg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200713_152724.jpg
    20200713_152724.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 1