New arrival of chicks and they are dying

Krazieliss702

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 10, 2010
I just received my order of red star chicks today from cackle hatchery...One was DOA and i lost five a few hours after i brought them home this morning. I've had a few batches of chicks before but i've never had this many not make it...some of them would not eat or drink much and they would just sleep and then they would fall over and die. The brooder is at the right temp and they have food and water of course. It is very upsetting and im not sure what is wrong. if anyone could give some help that would be great.

I'm new and I don't know how to help.....I'm sure someone will.....Hugss!!!
hugs.gif

I had a couple of weak ones once (not quite the same) but I just kept dipping their beaks in the water to make sure they were drinking. Hope that helps.

They may just have had a rough journey. How long were they en route?

Sounds like you're doing everything right - brooder at the right temp, food and water. Have you tried dipping the beaks of the weaker chicks in the water? You might try using an electolyte solution in the water to give them a vitamin boost or giving them some sugar water to give them some quick energy. (Be careful with sugar water - I had a high incidence of pasty butt when I used it, so I don't use it anymore).

i did call cackle today and they told me to call back on friday for another live count...i did gived them warmed up sugar water when they arrived...i am using newspaper as bedding...(thats what we usually use) I kept trying to get them to drink water and eat some food but it seemed like they had no interest at all.. their heads were very droopy like that had no energy left in their little bodies...its very heartbreaking to not know what to do to make them better:hit

I don't know where you live, but if they had to travel very far, with the weather we've been having they may gotten too chilled. Once a day-old gets too cold it can be very hard for them to recover no matter what you do for them.

Back
Top Bottom