1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New at hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KSdancer, Jun 21, 2011.

1. KSdancer

KSdancer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    So I have 3 roosters of all different breeds and about 40 hens, also of different breeds. I decided to try hatching some since they are all coming out fertile. I am curious if it is bad to have such mix chicken breeds. I never see any for sale on craigslist or feed stores so now i'm thinking it is a bad idea. HELP!

How can you tell if they will hatch or not? Or can you?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I don't think it's bad. I see them on CL a lot advertised as "Barnyard Mix" Sometimes you get really pretty birds. The only downside I see is there might not be as much of a demand for them as purebreds, if you were intending to sell.

3. KSdancer

KSdancer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    I'm not really looking to make money off of them, I'm not going to keep them all but just trying to see if I can hatch anything! They are due to hatch in 2 days, hopefully I did everything right. If I did, it really is very simple. If not though, UH OH!

One more question, it says to have temperature in incubator at 100 but someone told me to do 97 to make sure you get more hens than rooster, has anyone heard of this?

4. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    [​IMG]

No it is not a bad idea.

Go for it!

You never know what will hatch!

KSDancer: Still air incubator is 101.5 and forced air is 99.5 F. You cannot control if it is a hen or a rooster.At least at chickens.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    "welcome
    I don't mix my birds but have hatched several barnyard mix for friends of mine. They give me the eggs to hatch for them. They do sell some of the the chicks but usually grow them out and sell the pullets as layers and the boys go to the auction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by