New At this can some one help

Kerrie Ann

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Berkley , Ma
Can some one tell us the rule of thumb when it comes to eggs. Are we suppose to get the eggs daily? What if we do not get them Daily? How long to they last?Ect.......
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
We gather our eggs twice a day most of the year but more often during freezing weather or very hot spells. I have skipped a day or two when going out of town with no problems, but it's unusual for us to miss gathering them.

Our's last for a month or more on the counter, at least three months in the fridge. If saving them for hatching I try to set every 7 days but have gone as long as 10 days with good hatch rates.

editted to add;
welcome-byc.gif
from Mississippi

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I agree with the other posts. I collect my eggs in the evenings and sort the eggs and put them in cartons. I sell my eggs so they go immediately into a refrigerator I have for my eggs. I have went away on an overnight trip before and wasn't able to collect the eggs for a day but usually if I go away I have a friend come over and collect the eggs. I have a little over 100 birds so I can't really not collect them on a daily basis.

Thank you all for the information. I do have another quetion if I may. If you skip a day are the eggs still good to collect them the next day to eat? I also read that some people wash them and some do not? I read that If you wash them you could allow bacteria to enter the egg??? By the way I am new to this site My name is Kerrie Ann nice to meet you all. Thanks again.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
We try and keep our nest boxes clean, so our eggs are seldom dirty. I never sell an egg that has been washed, those we just use ourselves. Washing an egg removes the "bloom" which is a natural coating and can allow bactirea in, but you have to keep in mind that all store bought eggs are washed, so I'm not sure how big a deal it really is.
And yes, even if you skip a day the eggs are still good to eat. In very hot weather I wouldn't want to skip more than one day although they would probably still be fine. The eggs we sell we refridgerate as soon as I gather them. Our eggs we eat are in a basket on the counter and never get refridgerated. I stamp the date on the carton that the eggs were gathered on our selling eggs and any that are still in the fridge after a week my wife makes egg salad with or we just hard boil them, she crushes them in the blender - shell and all - and we feed back to the chickens. We've been lucky enough to sell most of ours though, so only do this a few times a year.

Quote:
We try and keep our nest boxes clean, so our eggs are seldom dirty. I never sell an egg that has been washed, those we just use ourselves. Washing an egg removes the "bloom" which is a natural coating and can allow bactirea in, but you have to keep in mind that all store bought eggs are washed, so I'm not sure how big a deal it really is.
And yes, even if you skip a day the eggs are still good to eat. In very hot weather I wouldn't want to skip more than one day although they would probably still be fine. The eggs we sell we refridgerate as soon as I gather them. Our eggs we eat are in a basket on the counter and never get refridgerated. I stamp the date on the carton that the eggs were gathered on our selling eggs and any that are still in the fridge after a week my wife makes egg salad with or we just hard boil them, she crushes them in the blender - shell and all - and we feed back to the chickens. We've been lucky enough to sell most of ours though, so only do this a few times a year.

I like the idea of hard boiling any uneaten eggs and crushing them for the chickens..

I have a while before i need to worrie about egg collection.. my birds are just chicks. but im sure in a few weeks I'll be grabbin a dozen a day
smile.png

well untile I Adopt out some. still not sure how many we will keep..

Great information. We just picked up our chickens yesterday we have 5 golden comits. I was told that they may not leg eggs becuase of the stress of a new home. I also was told that we should give them a break in the winter and not heat the chicken coops up. Any thoughts??? Also what can we do to help the chickens asjust to their new home?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom