New At this can some one help

Depending on how cold your winters are. I'd somehow keep the hen house draft free so they can get somewhat warm.
I"m in Georgia, and It dose not get "as cold" to me as The NY winters I grew up in.

but I'm building a Pallet Hen house. I have a "coop run" that I did just by wrapping under my porch, with Wood form pallets and chicken wire.

but I was thinking on if i will put insulation between the topside and bottom side of the pallets I use for the walls. but I figured that be expensive so To keep them warm without a heat source

I am going to Wrap the outside and Inside with The plastic you would use to put up on your windows in winter. THEN nail the plywood inside for the walls. and Siding for the outside. Im hoping this keeps it pretty much insulated enouth. as well as Using Calking on all Seems to keep out drafts . only "draft" i want is from the Vents I install.

I have this huge idea in my head.. While I"m not a carptneter at all I"m hoping my vision works out LOL

Good luck on your chickens. and hope I gave you some idea's

My Mom told me to put the eggs in a bowl of water and see if they sink or float.. if they float they are bad.. is that true? I had one float yesterday, so I figured out I would ask all the experienced BYC members!

Quote:
How old are they? I have 2 that are 16 weeks, great looking bird

They may not lay right away but they will, give them time till they get to know you and the coop.
If they are feathered out, over 6 weeks old, they do not need heat anyway...unless you live in a VERY cold area, I live in Colorado, -30 at night in the winter...no extra heat, but a warm coop.
Go out and talk to them softly and see if you can get them to come to you with treats,
grapes, apples, lettuce etc...they will get used to you and lay eggs for you as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

This link will instruct you on how to post pictures, we LOVE to see pictures!

If you have ANY questions, just ask, everyone here is very helpful and have tons of advice!

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif

You are welcome!

Here are 2 shots of my girls...
68634_gs1.jpg

68634_dsc_0073-1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
I have went away overnight and skipped collecting the eggs for a day and have no problems eating them. When a chicken lays an egg she lays it with a coating (bloom) which helps to keep the bacteria out of the egg. As long as you do not wash the eggs (and they are not fertile) you can leave them on your counter for several days and eat them but once you wash the eggs then you must refrigerate them.

Your information is correct when a chicken has had it's normal routine changed it may not lay for awhile (such as going to a new home). I would give treats. The best way to a chicken's heart is through its stomach. I don't heat my coops in the winter and no drafts. If you live in a cold place (northern state) then you may want to invest in a water warmer to keep the water from freezing. It's like a hot plate that a metal waterer sits on and makes the water just warm enough so it won't freeze. Other from that I let my birds lay if they want and if they slow down, oh well they might be just taking a break. These are just my opinions.

Thanks again for all the great info. I was told they are about a year old. I will try to give them some treats to see if I can not ge them to feel more comfortable with us. I think it will take some time. We tried to add more wood shavings to their nesting boxes as well to help them feel more comfortable. Time will see
hmm.png

So - we have had our chickens for 3 weeks now and the girls are laying about 3 eggs a day. We have 5 chickens is this good or are they still getting used their new home???

Back
Top Bottom