New at this.... s\So Far So Good

K Epp

Songster
7 Years
Dec 15, 2012
North Georgia
Last week I was given 3 Roosters, 1 Brown Leghorn and 2 Americauna. After a short escape of one of the Americauna I got the boys settled down. I added 4 Americauna and 1 leghorn pullets. I could only get one leghorn, but she is a little older so I thought she would be okay with them. My coop/barn is 20x16 so they have plenty of room. I put the girls in last night and all seemed well this morning. Its funny that each kind is hanging together. Is that typical? There hasn't been and fighting that I have seen and as of yet I haven't seen a pecking order with the boys or girls. I'm not sure, but I think i heard one of the girls crowing or trying to crow this morning. Any one have any advice or pointers or advice as I add to my flock. I would like to get Bardrocks, Wellsumers, Black Australorp, and Black Cooper Maran hens. I have been told I have to many Roos, but I dont want to get rid of any of my guys. Will these all get along? How long do I need to wait before I let them out to free range? What is the best way to introduce them to my dogs and cats?

Welcome to BYC.
They do tend to hang out by breed at least at first. With that much room and them all being new to the coop there may well be less violence while they establish a pecking order. Adding other birds latter may prove different. Quarantine the new birds is advised. When you do add new chickens you have enough room to partition part of it off for the new birds to allow the flock to get to know them first without the physical interaction for a week or so. A flock will react with more aggression to strangers then birds they have gotten to know through wire first. As to having too many roos, since you intend to get more hens it is only temporary. But I think for awhile you will have to watch for things like over mating and aggression between the roosters. I haven't had a problem with my cats, a full grown chicken usually doesn't interest a cat. The only dogs I have to worry about are the neighbors and I have to watch all the time the chickens free range.

I agree with Den in Penn you have plenty of room and having too many roosters for the short term isn't a huge problem. The sooner you can get more hens the better though. I have Australorps and they are very nice birds; great layers and nice personalities - not aggressive with the other girls at all. On the rare occasions that my cat goes out he is the one who has to watch out. One of my Light Brahmas always, always, always stalks him and sneaks up on him and pecks him on the head. He has zero interest in them except to try to avoid Blondie. Dogs need to be trained not to chase the chickens. If yours are laying and the dogs chase them repeatedly it can halt egg production. Some dogs will kill chickens.

Back
Top Bottom