New Australian Hatching Mystery Egg at Home

This little duck was watched from all continents I think- North America, I am sure, I am from South Africa, Africa thus, Australia, Asia (mrs Ozexpat) . I am not to sure about South America and Europe. Pretty sure we have a lurker or two from Europe at least! You are FAMOUS!! Basil. Congratulations to you all

I did see at least one English poster to add to that list.

Looking forward to more pics when it's all fluffed up.

Made me go and learn more about our native wood ducks! Very striking grown bird.

Welcome to the world basil and congrats to Momma, you did a great job.
today is my day 21
and after reading and waiting for basil to come out.. I think i have some paitents that it does take time and they will come out when their ready.. there is movement in the eggs. so i know their alive.

Congrats to you for hatching little Basil! S/he is an Easter miracle for sure. As unpopular an idea as this is bound to be, I had a thought: not only would this make a great story for your local news, it might encourage anyone else that finds a stray egg to incubate it too. I don't know the threat level of your local wood duck population but it can only help. I hope basil stays with you until they are old enough to go off and start a family of their own, as in, you should possibly consider *not* keeping it for life. Get advice on imprinting Basil on ducks as well as people. Chances are B will come back to your yard again and again anyway. Whatever you decide, you did an amazing, loving thing in creating a life. Congratulations Mamma!

Edited to add: Today is my first born daughter Jane's sixth birthday. I told her the story of the mystery egg and she was very happy to hear that little baby duckling arrived safe and sound! Terrific present!

Last edited:
well done!

your patience was rewarded with a miracle.
Ditto!
thumbsup.gif

Congrats, what breed is it?

Thank you so so much everybody! The mystery backyard chickens baby is a Native Australian Wood duck!
jumpy.gif

I will get some new photos and maybe some higher-quality ones on my actual camera, as well as the video footage I got of him peeping, zipping and hatching (although I will have to edit my voice out because I was just in such excited shock! XD). Just for now I'm going to take a break and de-stress and watch this new baby duckling. But I cannot say enough thank yous to everyone who stopped in to watch, who gave support and well wishes or who shared their expertise especially when I was asking a lot of repetitive questions and being so scared, tired from late nights and stressed from a hatch five days late!
highfive.gif

Baby Basil is happily drying off now in his/her brooder box and is getting suuuuper fluffy and cute, and very talkative! He seems to be fighting sleep, with his little head nodding down and then jumping back up again. I will update more on this thread with photos, videos and such once I have some and after a bit of a breather. If it's preferable I can make a new thread where I update on his growth or things, or I can just post here. :)

Much love to everybody, from Basil and I (and my two other parrots and the rest of my anxious family!!)
hugs.gif
love.gif
I see now! lol

Congrats!

Congrats!!!! So glad baby Basil the Wood duck decided to join you. Though Im not gonna lie I was kinda hoping for a Dinosaur or a Dragon
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom