New B.E.I. need some help

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
I just purchased a pair of BEI at the fair, They are deffinatley bantam ducks! My questions are, what are their temperment, do their wings need clipping, and what are the minimum space for them? They are very small ducks and I have them in a 2x3 wire cage just hanging out before i put I create a run. I think I might keep that small wire cage for them for night and have a large run for them. What do you think? thanks.

The wire cage is temporary, I will move it into the garage tonight if I cant get the Pen built. It has been nsort of cold at night as well, I'm sure they can handle it but I'm unsure of their age.
003-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

ticks - looks like a nice pair of BEI's.

A few things, they are great fliers..........like you mentioned, you may want to clip the flights on one wing this year till they get used to you.........even if you keep them in the cage you may still want to incase one gets out. I use both raised pens and open top ground pens. My BEI's are on the ground without flight net over top. I have never had one fly off. If I have one that has a habit of flying over I do clip it's flights. My ground pen has the 2"x4"x48" tall field wire, fairly cheap. At night they are herded into a small shed and locked up.

duck%20house.JPG

If you wanted to put together a raised pen, you could build a frame and use the wire from your cage they are in now.

pen%20under%20const.JPG

I use the raised pens for juvenile BEI's and any new birds I purchased. They stay in them till I think they are ready to go in with other birds or in the open pen.

2%20raised%20pens.JPG

giffy
------------------------
GiffsFarm

Thank you giffy! That helps a lot, I read they don't need much space, the pen will be large enough for them to have a pool, walking room and shade.

They are easy keepers, are good fliers but being a domestic breed they will adapt quickly to where "home" is. They are winter hardy, but need some shelter or wind break provided if they choose. Probably the most important need is protection from predators, especially at nite. They don't need a large pond but fresh water daily will keep them happy and healthy..............keep the water outside, they are fine overnite without it. On the feed, ordinary chicken pellets are fine, you could mix in some whole grains if you have them available. During breeding season (around March - June) mix in some feed higher in protein (gamebird feed). They are friendly, non aggressive but not overly happy being handled. Optimum look is black with the green emerald feathering, black bill, black legs and feet. As they age, the females will develop white feathering, they will still produce ducklings with the green-sheen feathering though.

giffy
------------------

Back
Top Bottom