New babies are in transit!

Smashlee83

Songster
Apr 9, 2021
Houston
My order from MPC shipped out yesterday and is currently expected to arrive tomorrow. I am so excited! So far i've only had silkies and one polish hen. Several of my silkies ended up being cockrels, one pullet died and two others are constantly broody I convinced my husband that I needed more. Currently on the way are 2 Bantam EE, 2 Cuckoo EE, 2 Olive eggers and a black frizzle cochin.

Brooder box is set up and at 100 degrees. I'm ready!

My order from MPC shipped out yesterday and is currently expected to arrive tomorrow. I am so excited! So far i've only had silkies and one polish hen. Several of my silkies ended up being cockrels, one pullet died and two others are constantly broody I convinced my husband that I needed more. Currently on the way are 2 Bantam EE, 2 Cuckoo EE, 2 Olive eggers and a black frizzle cochin.

Brooder box is set up and at 100 degrees. I'm ready!

Good luck.

Why so hot? 95F is the usual recommendation for the first week. Being too hot is a factor in developing pasty-butt. :)

Make sure they can get out of the heat if they want to.

I was told by a few people in the forum that the first week was 95-100. I will make adjustments to try and get it a little closer to 95.

The key is to watch their behavior.

If they're huddled right under the lamp and cheeping loudly then lower the lamp to make it warmer. If they're pressed up against the walls as far as they can get and panting they're too hot so raise the lamp.

If they're moving around exploring the place with quiet chirps of contentment or what my son called "loosely cuddled" under the lamp to rest and warm up then it's just right. :)

Back
Top Bottom