New babies, what do they need?

Kanga77510

Songster
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Santa Fe, TX
I've raised chicks before but the last ones were a few weeks old when we got them. The kids fell in love with colored chicks at the feed store the other day, so we have four (I bet they're all boys, too). I have them set up in a cat kennel, the hard sided kind where the top comes off; lots of good ventilation-or is it too much??

They have chick starter, water, and paper towel flooring. I have a heat lamp, do they need it all the time? They're taking up residence in my bathroom and it has a skylight, it can get quite warm during the day-it was 80 today in south Texas and I had the A/C on for bit but it was still warm in the bathroom.

Do I need anything else for new babies? I didn't mention it earlier but I have the rocks in the water dish too-I've heard about the drowning thing.

You don't want drafts on the babies. When they are hatched, they need 95 degrees, with the temp going down 5 degrees a week until it reaches 65. After they are about a week old, you can replace the paper towels with shavings; by then they will have figured out what food is. If they are huddled under the heat they are cold, if they are all as far away from it as they can get they are hot.

I'll bet they're all boys, too. My intro to chicks were the colored Easter chicks. For quite a while, we thought all but one were girls. In the end, we got three boys. That was the beginning of my chicken addiction. I'm addicted. I admit it.

For now, they need the heat lamp all the time. As they get older, they need less heat. I'd get some pine shavings, get the big bag at the feed store, they sell it for horse stalls. It's so much cheaper than the little bags they sell for hampsters, etc. As for the water, if you're using the standard chicken waterer, they'll be fine. I've never put rocks in my waterers.

You have done everything right!!! Congrats!!! They are fed, watered (with rocks to prevent drowning), something soft to stand on. And yes they need the lamp all the time until they are fully feathered. About 12 weeks old.

How far away should the lamp be from the carrier? Carrier's on floor level, lamp is about 2 feet above it. The carrier is mostly closed in on top, are they still getting enough warmth?

Im assuming its a plastic carrier? If so you don't want the heat lamp too close or it will melt it. It gets pretty hot under the heat lamp. Mine are out from under a heat lamp at 6 weeks and outside by 8 weeks with no heat lamp. They all do fine and I live in WI where it can get down pretty cool. You beng in tx will prob be able to get them outside sooner if it's warm. Being there are only four I would keep them in another extra week. Good luck! And congrats on your new babies...now we DO need pictures!

Could you face the lamp towards the wire door and make a warm spot? I'm just worried if it is above the carrier the whole carrier will get hot. They need it to be on one end so they can move away if they are too hot...

Get a round wall thermometer ($3 at wal-mart or tractor supply) and lay it on the floor inside brooder, half way between the heat source and the other (cooler) end of the enclosure. The big red needle and numbers are easy to read from a distance and accurate enough to figure out if you need the light closer or farther away. Best investment I've made. Of course my chicks fight to see who can stand on the face so I can't read it. HA!

Back
Top Bottom