New baby chick

dansanddogs

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 19, 2014
IMG_0194.JPG
Hi! So, my white leg horn went broody and I put some eggs under her that I got from a friend (I don't have a rooster) sure enough one hatched yesterday. Yay! I moved the chick inside my garage with the intentions of putting a heat lamp on it, but when I took it from the Hen-the Hen went crazy, so I moved her into my garage with the baby chick. She is such a good momma. But how long should I leave her with the baby? I know it probably wasn't necessary to move either of them but I have two 5 month old labs that really like "playing" with my chickens so I was afraid something would happen to the little chick.

View attachment 549628 Hi! So, my white leg horn went broody and I put some eggs under her that I got from a friend (I don't have a rooster) sure enough one hatched yesterday. Yay! I moved the chick inside my garage with the intentions of putting a heat lamp on it, but when I took it from the Hen-the Hen went crazy, so I moved her into my garage with the baby chick. She is such a good momma. But how long should I leave her with the baby? I know it probably wasn't necessary to move either of them but I have two 5 month old labs that really like "playing" with my chickens so I was afraid something would happen to the little chick.
You could leave them together until she weans them...

Mom will start ignoring it more and more, eventually even pushing it away from her. By "leave them together" I mean mom and baby with the flock if possible. Since I started letting my current broody hatch within the flock, I've noticed that integration is so much easier than when the chicks are older.

Mom will start ignoring it more and more, eventually even pushing it away from her. By "leave them together" I mean mom and baby with the flock if possible. Since I started letting my current broody hatch within the flock, I've noticed that integration is so much easier than when the chicks are older.[/QUOTE

Back
Top Bottom