New baby chicks all dying

Mine are in an 8x4ft box with two lamps over one end. Temp is stable around 95 to 100 in some spots. Chicks are evening spaced out under lights sleeping away. They make trips to the other side and run back to their buddies. Room temp is about 70.

Sounds good Tezolt. I'm far from a pro at this. I just go by what the hatchery told me, & 90 is not warm enough for newly hatched peeps. I'm just a crazy nut about my chickens & this web site is so helpful. I know how I felt when I lost just 1. I can't amagine loosing that many. So sorry.

I'm not disappointed with Meyer Hatchery. I received two extras in shipment, all my Easter Eggers are beautifully colored although about 25% were weak, possibly from shipping USPS. All my RIRs were very strong and active, a few are on the small side though. Meyer is dealing in a very hard business and I commend them for at least doing there best. I haven't heard back yet about the unexpected death I had, but my other emails I received have been supportive. Out of 47 chicks, 4 died in the first 50 hours I have had them. I guess that isn't too bad considering the extremes they've been through. The problem I have is that I never have seen a chick drop over and convulse like some were. The choking on mucus part seems very strange as well... Time will tell. If you are a Meyer customer, don't cancel your orders because of me, I am still a happy customer, just disappointed with a few strange deaths... The only reason I posted here was because others were having similar things happen that I had no explanation from anywhere else.

Last edited:
I did call this morning, they were very nice. The guy I talked to told me because of the weekend, my 48 hrs would be extended to Monday. Hopefully I won't lose anymore, but he said call Monday to set up either a refund or replacement.
I also asked him if they've had a lot of losses reported this week and he said "more than I care to mention." He said they just had some really cold weather up there and he thinks that is the main impact.
Also, at Tractor Supply this morning, the guy checking me out said he had ordered 15 from Meyer last week but all 15 were dead when they arrived at the post office. He was ordering several rare breeds I think so he said they refunded him and he ordered eggs to hatch instead.

Okay thank you for the news. I figured they were getting slammed... it sounds like we aren't horrible chick parents after all. I'll be ordering in March from now on. I am hoping it was the cold weather as well, but I still don't know how the signs of the sick ones I had were caused by cold weather. It seemed more like Omphallitis in some, possibly neurological in the sudden death one.

I asked for an extension on the 2 day guarantee in one of my emails, from your news it does seem like they will be granting that to some people. I think that is pretty honorable of them if it does happen.

The rest of mine appear to be eating today, so I am cautiously hopeful that we are through the worst. I couldn't resist taking a few pictures today of the cuties:

Lol they look just like mine. I also got some silvers/grays/whites as Easter Eggers. One all white one is the biggest and bossiest. Nice picture taking skills as well!

Green poop means malnutrition. I know chicks are so cheap, anywhere from $2.50-$4.50 depends on hatcheries. Going to a vet for a "CONSULTATION" costed $120, with NOTHING done. I had one died from my first batch due to malnutrition (a silkie so small, it got stomped over by the others constantly). Otherwise, everyone was healthy and cheerie. So....since i was a first time mama chicken, when I decided to separate silkies from the regular chicks (their size grew significantly in 2-3 weeks, bantam vs regular size), one was almost losing life. I decided to go to a vet and go to the ****** "CONSULTATION" for a $3.00 chick....oh well whatever, I thought, I should get some kind of education. The vet didn't treat my chick, but she gave me 3 injection syringes (no needles) and taught me how to hand feed. She recommeded EXACT, similar to dry baby formula puree, basically you just dilute with water, and suck into the syringe (1ml syringe). Feed the chick 0.5 ml every hour, vary between puree and water to keep it hydrated.
Alright....took the syringes home, march myself to Petco and bought a small pouch of EXACT. Went home and started my hourly handfeeding routine (except night time when i go to bed). I brought the malnutrition chick to work and handfeed every hour too. Within 2 days, poop became normal, and she was alive and active. She is still alive now, and 3 months old. :)
I do think it is shipping stress. Last week I got a tiny leghorn that was soooo weak. I started handfeeding with EXACT and sugar water. She is still tiny but is now active and plump. So there goes my $120 consultation....i felt it was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom