Baby chick lethargic and possibly dying

toulouse322

Hatching
Dec 3, 2023
Chick is about a week old and belongs to another family member, said family member found chick early this morning lethargic and lying flat on its chest, brought it inside and put it in a basket with a hot water bottle and gave to me to take care of. Both the chick and the hen that's brooding it have only been on the property for a couple days.
Chick has droppy wings, breathing heavily, can stand but wobbly and ends up resting on its chest. It hasn't drank or eaten, I've tried giving it sugar water and electrolytes through dipping the tip of its beak into a small container. Its feces are also watery white.
I'm not able to travel to get any medication, and either way it would take a couple hours to get to a vet or feed store. We've had a couple chicks die in a similar way the past few days

Welcome to BYC. It may be a failure to thrive weak chick. I would continue to get her drinking the electrolyte water often, and offer some egg or watery chick feed. Do you have a heart lamp, or can you get it back under the broody for night? Is she taking care of it and the other chicks?

water

Back
Top Bottom