New Baby Chicks

Alby Farms

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2020
Hey all, so I got my hens six months ago and they are all grown up. They have all officially started laying eggs and I am getting a serious case of chick fever. I just love my girls so much and on top of that, the hatchery I know and love and purchase all my chickens from has just posted their new hatch log and they have my two favorite chicken breeds of all time. Should I dive right in and just go for it or should I wait a while and hope they have my favorite breeds later in like 2021 or so?

How much room do you have in your coop? How many additional birds can it comfortably accommodate?

What are your plans for your current hens when their laying begins to decline?

Hey all, so I got my hens six months ago and they are all grown up. They have all officially started laying eggs and I am getting a serious case of chick fever. I just love my girls so much and on top of that, the hatchery I know and love and purchase all my chickens from has just posted their new hatch log and they have my two favorite chicken breeds of all time. Should I dive right in and just go for it or should I wait a while and hope they have my favorite breeds later in like 2021 or so?

Fight the fever!!

Go for it! You’re asking the wrong place if you expect anybody to say no🤣🥰
I'll say NO. :D or at least wait and think first.

How much room do you have in your coop?
How many additional birds can it comfortably accommodate?
What are your plans for your current hens when their laying begins to decline?
These^^^ are very good questions!

Gotta think it thru to avoid having a mess on your hands.
Integration of more birds is a whole other learning curve.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Alby Farms
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1601122310531.png

Yes, excellent questions. I think you should also consider your plans to brood them and integrate them. What kind of weather will you have when you get them? For some people this could be a lot easier in good weather.

You are dealing with living animals. If you don't think it through you could be causing them and you a lot of stress. Your winter weather might be important, it might help you to go through a winter before you get more.

I don't know anything about your goals, why you want them, your facilities, your weather, your management techniques, all the things that makes you unique. I can't tell you to get them or not, that has to be your decision. If you feel it is a good fit for you and your situation go ahead. If not, wait.

If eggs matter at all to you, better to space out the ages of your flock. Birds lay best the first 2 years and then start to decline, so for better egg production you want 1-2 years between additions.

Also integration takes space and time. Do you have MORE than minimal space to allow for safe integration? Do you have an integration plan? Done right, it can be very easy and even enjoyable, but without some preplanning, it can turn into a stressful mess for both you and the flock.

Back
Top Bottom