**NEW BABY CHICKS**

FizzyChicken

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2015
Hellu everyone ^^

I am new to the community (yayy) and I just thought I'd do a first post on Baby Chicks...sooo:

I "special ordered" 5 silkie chicks and we get to go pick them up next Thursday and oh my gosh I have been "nesting" like crazy, but I Don't know the right sized "brooder" for them. Last year we had 4 and we just used a plain plastic tub and it worked fine but now we have 5 to talk about! So if you guys know of any bigger containers then that'd be great and where I could get them? Thanks!

Also, what was your survival rate on your silkies? Last year we raised Buff Orps,Barred Rock, and Americaunas and 1 died from a prolapsed vent. So if you guys could offer some tips and tricks that'd be appreciated!

Have a lovely rest of your day!

<3

Hi! We have used livestock tanks and jumbo size plastic storage bins for big groups of chicks in the past. A big cardboard box works really well too, just make sure to cat proof it if you have indoor cats. Wrapping it in chicken wire with more wire over the top should do the trick. No knowledge of silkies but I'm sure someone will chime in.
jumpy.gif

A box with a window screen on top usually works. The window screen is nice if you have it because it is pretty easy for humans to take off, but if you put a brick on top of it then the chicks can't get out and nothing else can get in. Good luck with your chicks!!!!!!
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
Thanks! I think we'll hunt around for a bigger plastic tub! We had to put a laundry basket over our tub when the chicks last summer started to fly, it was quite the sight!
Also, do your chickens prefer to roost with nothing below the roosting poles or do they prefer the roosting poles with a shelf or something directly under it? Does that have a health benefit to it?

Mine will roost on anything that's elevated...the feeder, the waterer, etc. That's when I know it's really getting to be time to send them out into a bigger coop with real roosting poles! They always figure it out. Some of them will even jump up in trees when free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom