New baby quacker pic!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WriterofWords, Aug 30, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    One of my Mallard crosses had been sitting on a nest and was soooo close to hatching! On Thursday she got off the nest for water or something and the wind blew the door closed on her dog kennel she was using and she couldn't get back to her eggs. I guess it was all day and by the time I got home and opened the kennel she was back with the flock and didn't notice. One of the chicken hens went in and broke a couple of eggs, killing the babies. Three were damaged beyond saving and bled out, but there were three that still looked pretty good and weren't cold. One was pretty broken on one side but not bleeding, the other two were undamaged, so I brought them in. You can see them in the pics on the original page were I saved the quail eggs, they were in the bator when the quail hatched. I'm happy to say this morning from one of the eggs I have a beautiful grey baby! The other two are rocking and peeping too!
    [​IMG]
    Mom is Runner/Mallard cross, I think daddy is a Runner because it sure stand upright already!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Congrats!

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Yay! [​IMG]

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm hoping the other two make it,, but the good really good news??? I have NO ducks sitting on nests!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by